POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Grey color rendering issue ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Grey color rendering issue ? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: 43oasis
Subject: Grey color rendering issue ?
Date: 13 Dec 2007 06:25:00
Message: <web.4761163d44d7bf61d9767f500@news.povray.org>
Hello

The landscape : 3.7 beta 23, Intel Q6600, Vista Home Premium

Using this :
pigment { color Black } }
an objet is rendered as black, OK.

Using :
pigment { image_map { png "image.png" once }}
where image.png show large flat areas colored "RVB 90% black",
that is very dark grey, the parts which should be dark grey are rendered light
grey. There are other parts which show rainbow colors, and render OK,
ambient beeing set to 1.

Things are OK under POV-Ray 3.61c (but much slower, sigh...)
Any idea ?..
Thanks !!

Post a reply to this message

43oasis nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/13 06:23:
> Hello
>
> The landscape : 3.7 beta 23, Intel Q6600, Vista Home Premium
>
> Using this :
> pigment { color Black } }
> an objet is rendered as black, OK.
>
> Using :
> pigment { image_map { png "image.png" once }}
> where image.png show large flat areas colored "RVB 90% black",
> that is very dark grey, the parts which should be dark grey are rendered light
> grey. There are other parts which show rainbow colors, and render OK,
> ambient beeing set to 1.
>
> Things are OK under POV-Ray 3.61c (but much slower, sigh...)
> Any idea ?..
> Thanks !!

What is the gamma value provided by that PNG? Try converting it to JPG and use
the JPG for your image_map.

--
Alain
At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry.

Post a reply to this message

From: 43oasis
Date: 16 Dec 2007 04:40:00
Message: <web.4764f123b7dbaa1750e54fe80@news.povray.org>

> What is the gamma value provided by that PNG? Try converting it to JPG and use
> the JPG for your image_map.
>
> --

PNG or JPEG does'nt matter, I tried both before...
Regarding the gamma value, I do not know, and even do not know how to measure it
; I made no gamma modification on the image (this, I do know how to), built from
scratch : a plain 90% black background (RVB 16M colors) with a rainbow strip
superimposed over a small region.
On the sunny side : POV-Ray 3.7beta23 is 3.71 faster than 3.61c on my
configuration, rendering a moderately complex animation (~6hours (3.7b23) for
1700 images). Thanks to the POV team !