POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : beta 18 on Win32: completes rendering to 100% stage, but then gets stuck Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  beta 18 on Win32: completes rendering to 100% stage, but then gets stuck (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: LiquidEyes
Subject: beta 18 on Win32: completes rendering to 100% stage, but then gets stuck
Date: 1 Jan 2007 12:30:01
Message: <web.4599440f81cc79956e2081290@news.povray.org>
I'm having problems with the latest beta of PovRay (3.7 beta 18) on 32-bit
Windows, with an Athlon 64 x2 CPU.

I'm using the latest non-beta version (3.6.1) which works fine on its own.
It continues to work okay with cmedit32.dll and povcmax32.dll substituted
for the versions in povwin-3.7.beta.zip. But if I replace pvengine.exe with
either pvengine.exe or pvengine-sse2.exe from the same zip, I experience the
following problems:

PovRay doesn't seem to know when it's finished rendering. It reaches 100%,
but doesn't get as far as the message telling you rendering is complete,
the bmp file is in such-and-such a folder, etc. Sometimes it does work the
first few times, rendering the sample biscuit.pov file at +w320 +h240, but
then if I render at +w800 +h600 I get the problems. Once it's broken,
that's it -- I have to force PovRay to shut down, since it thinks there is
still a render in progress and can't stop it. I have to restart it to get
any rendering done.

Also, manually stopping a render while in progress often doesn't work. The
render does stop, but the application doesn't seem to notice, so the
command line remains greyed out, and the 'stop' button isn't replaced with
the 'run' button, meaning I can't start a new render. Sometimes it notices
eventually ... sometimes it doesn't.

But even then, I usually can't start a new render: nothing useful happens
when I click 'run'. I just get an 'Unknown internal error' report in the
message window. Also, sometimes I'm left with a hanging process using 50%
of the CPU, even though it's supposed to have finished rendering and it's
at 100% completion.

Similarly, if I 'Re-render insert menu bitmaps', it happily renders 10-20 or
so bitmaps, but then sticks at the 100% stage of one particular one. It
always seems to get stuck on the same bitmap.

Everything works again if I go back to the v3.6 exe. But then rendering is
half as quick, because only one CPU core gets used. :(

I did not have these problems with beta 17. Seems like a thread-related
issue. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm using the latest non-beta version (3.6.1) which works fine on its own.
> It continues to work okay with cmedit32.dll and povcmax32.dll substituted
> for the versions in povwin-3.7.beta.zip. But if I replace pvengine.exe with
> either pvengine.exe or pvengine-sse2.exe from the same zip, I experience the
> following problems:

AFAIK, you shouldn't be replacing the files in your normal distribution.
  Just leave them as they are, and unzip the beta file into a new
directory, and things should work fine.

I can verify that the latest beta works fine for me.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message