POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : (Mac) Quicktime weirdness Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  (Mac) Quicktime weirdness (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tom Stone
Subject: (Mac) Quicktime weirdness
Date: 17 Oct 2001 22:23:37
Message: <tom.stone-1810010447530001@d212-151-231-57.swipnet.se>
I'm not sure how to describe this, as it isn't always possible to
duplicate it, but I'll try.

If I, when setting the options for an animation with QuickTime output,
forget to press the "Set Compression" button in the output pane of the
settings dialogue, the options in the "set compression" dialogue remains
at the default values, which is:

Compression:PNG - Millions of colors
Quality: Best
Animation:Frames/second: (empty)

Now, when rendering this, it results in an empty QuickTime file. There are
no warnings, so that the file is empty comes as a surprise when I try to
open it with the MoviePlayer.

So far, it is just an user error, and I guess that I as a user have to
learn to be more careful. However, at this point it becomes a bit weird.

As I want to get a working animation, I naturally want to render it again.
So I throw away the empty QT-file, open the pov-file again and change the
"set compression" values to something useful. In this example:

Compression:Animation - Millions of colors
Quality: Best
Animation:Frames/second: 24

But (sometimes) only the first frame gets rendered, then it seems like
Pov-ray ends up in an infinite loop (I guess) where an error message
(Something about not finding the Quicktime file, and also "error code
-43") gets repeated over and over in the message window.

At this point, it is impossible to select "stop rendering" in the render
menu. And when trying to force quit the program, more weird things happen.
Sometimes the dialogue ask if I want to force quit Pov-Ray, but it is just
as likely that it asks if I want to force quit the Finder or some system
extension (file sharing, Norton Filesaver, etc.)

For a while I thought that it was because I threw away the first, empty,
QT-file, but then it happened when I left it untouched in its place.

I'm not always able to duplicate this thing, which is why I have trouble
describing it correctly.

--
Tom Stone
Domarebacken 42, 14557 Norsborg, Sweden