POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : NT4 and intel compile == boom Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  NT4 and intel compile == boom (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: David Burnett
Subject: NT4 and intel compile == boom
Date: 22 Jan 2002 14:28:57
Message: <1011727907@bigfoot.com>
I 'm sure someone must have noticed this before but it wasn't on the
known bugs list for Jan 21.

The intel compile just will not render a damned thing on my NT 4 box at
work it crashes straight away, the VC compile works perfectly (given
the known bugs).

The Specs are Win NT4 service patch 5, Intel PIII 550, 256 Meg SDRAM

The exception Illegal Instruction
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x005922b6.

Dave
--
Posted By NewsBe 1.6.4
http://www.vargol.freeserve.co.uk/newsbe/

Post a reply to this message

On 22 Jan 2002 19:31:47 +0000, David Burnett <var### [at] bigfootcom>
wrote:

>I 'm sure someone must have noticed this before but it wasn't on the
>known bugs list for Jan 21.
>
>The intel compile just will not render a damned thing on my NT 4 box at
>work it crashes straight away, the VC compile works perfectly (given
>the known bugs).
>
>The Specs are Win NT4 service patch 5, Intel PIII 550, 256 Meg SDRAM
>
>The exception Illegal Instruction
>An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
>(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x005922b6.
>
>Dave
could be it needs a service pack upgrade 6 and a couple of minor is
the latest.

Date: 23 Jan 2002 05:00:13
Message: <a22t4ugkt3k84esvg5kate7dq2j5211f9m@4ax.com>
On 22 Jan 2002 19:31:47 +0000, David Burnett <var### [at] bigfootcom> wrote:
> I 'm sure someone must have noticed this before but it wasn't on the
> known bugs list for Jan 21.
>
> The intel compile just will not render a damned thing on my NT 4 box at
> work it crashes straight away, the VC compile works perfectly (given
> the known bugs).

What you mean by "damned thing"? Anything? Some particular thing? I work with
both compile versions on NT 4 Sp 6 perfectly (given the known bugs).

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: David Burnett
Date: 23 Jan 2002 14:41:05
Message: <1011815022@bigfoot.com>

>On 22 Jan 2002 19:31:47 +0000, David Burnett <var### [at] bigfootcom> wrote:
>> I 'm sure someone must have noticed this before but it wasn't on the
>> known bugs list for Jan 21.
>>
>> The intel compile just will not render a damned thing on my NT 4 box at
>> work it crashes straight away, the VC compile works perfectly (given
>> the known bugs).
>
>What you mean by "damned thing"? Anything? Some particular thing? I work with
>both compile versions on NT 4 Sp 6 perfectly (given the known bugs).
>
>AB

A 'Damned thing' means every scene I'd thrown at it up to that point,
which was most of the example scenes.

Here's a scene that crashes Intel compiled POV-RAY on NT4 SP5

//------scene start------------------
camera {
  location  <0.0, 0.5, -15.0>
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

cylinder{0,y*5,1.01}
//-----scene end---------------------

If you comment out the cylinder or the camera the
scene will render.

The only other scene I've got working so far is the basic
scene template but even that scene required the finish on
the sphere to be commented out before it worked.

I can't upgrade service packs unfortunately, as I said it's at work and
they won't install SP6 as it supposedly breaks something or other that we
use.

It basically needs a warning so NT4 SP5 users are aware of the problem
and maybe adding to the known bugs list.

Dave

Date: 24 Jan 2002 05:48:15
Message: <6gpv4us8v4jdbvfbb9ogcevgl4os4fgvrs@4ax.com>
On 23 Jan 2002 19:43:42 +0000, David Burnett <var### [at] bigfootcom> wrote:
> I can't upgrade service packs unfortunately, as I said it's at work and
> they won't install SP6 as it supposedly breaks something or other that we
> use.

Unfortunatly there are also situations when it is not possible to instal SP6
without tricks.

ABX