POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : marble + turbulence bug. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  marble + turbulence bug. (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: ingo
Subject: marble + turbulence bug.
Date: 30 Oct 2001 13:24:14
Message: <Xns914AC563F6C36seed7@povray.org>
Render the scene below and compare with POV-Ray 3.1g, the results
are very different. Replace the the marble by wood and the results are
identical.

---%<------%<---
#version 3.5;
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
background {color rgb <0.5,0.5,1>}
camera {location  <0, 0.5, -2.0> look_at 0}
light_source {<500, 500, -500> rgb 1}
plane {y, -1 pigment {rgb <0.7,0.5,0.3>}}

sphere {
   0.0, 1
   texture {
      pigment {
         marble //wood
         turbulence <0.1,0.1,0>
         scale 0.1
         scale <2*pi,2*pi,1>
         colour_map {
            [0, rgbf 0]
            [1, rgbf <1,1,1,0.6>]
         }
      }
   }
}
---%<------%<---

PII 233 192MB NT4 SP6 POV-Ray 3.5-b7

Ingo

> Render the scene below and compare with POV-Ray 3.1g, the results
> are very different. Replace the the marble by wood and the results are
> identical.

I don't see much of a difference (with my development version, at least).
If noise_generator 1 is used, then the results should be identical to 3.1g.
With noise_generator 3 (the default), they should be very similar, but not
exact.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

> I don't see much of a difference (with my development version, at
> least).

Posted two images to p.t-b.b.

> If noise_generator 1 is used, then the results should be
> identical to 3.1g. With noise_generator 3 (the default), they
> should be very similar, but not exact.

The result is independent of the noise_generator or the compiler
version.

Ingo

I can confirm this, and that it is only true with marble.  It looks like some of
my experiments with adding something like f_noise(x*200,y*200,z*200) to a
patter.

Michael
news:Xns### [at] povrayorg...