POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.8 and text {} Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  3.8 and text {} (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Dick Balaska
Subject: 3.8 and text {}
Date: 12 Nov 2019 21:05:42
Message: <5dcb64f6$1@news.povray.org>
I upgraded to the '268 version and noticed tonight,

Possible Parse Error: Text may not be displayed as expected. Please
refer to the user manual regarding changes in POV-Ray v3.8 and later.

Can someone point me to the docs for this?

The warning hits on the first 't' in 'text' in this construct I've used
for decades:

text {
	ttf ArialFont
	label
	0.23,0
	scale 0.02
	translate <-0.080*inches, 0.088*inches, -0.001*inches>
	texture {controlTextureOn}
}

--
dik
Rendered 23,533,286,400 of 40,928,716,800 pixels (57%)

Post a reply to this message

Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> I upgraded to the '268 version and noticed tonight,
>
> Possible Parse Error: Text may not be displayed as expected. Please
> refer to the user manual regarding changes in POV-Ray v3.8 and later.
>
> Can someone point me to the docs for this?

The best I could find for this so far were these:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C5c38071f%241%40news.povray.org%3E/
https://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C5c2e6746%40news.povray.org%3E/
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C5b17006b%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

I remember there was a lot of stuff going on trying to fix the long-standing
utf-8 bug.

Maybe use that as a hook?   Check bug reports? Flyspray, git, readme, ....

Or just stop breaking POV-Ray.   :D

Post a reply to this message

Op 13/11/2019 om 03:05 schreef Dick Balaska:
> I upgraded to the '268 version and noticed tonight,
>
> Possible Parse Error: Text may not be displayed as expected. Please
> refer to the user manual regarding changes in POV-Ray v3.8 and later.
>
> Can someone point me to the docs for this?
>
> The warning hits on the first 't' in 'text' in this construct I've used
> for decades:
>
> text {
>      ttf ArialFont
>      label
>      0.23,0
>      scale 0.02
>      translate <-0.080*inches, 0.088*inches, -0.001*inches>
>      texture {controlTextureOn}
> }

I am not often using text, so I am probably wrong, but comparing to the
wiki: http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Text  I miss the double
quotes. Shouldn't one write: ttf ""ArialFont.ttf" "label"  ?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message