POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7 charset behaviour Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:41:42 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.7 charset behaviour (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7 charset behaviour
Date: 29 Jun 2018 08:26:33
Message: <5b362579$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.06.2018 um 19:26 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

>> Probably neither. The `global_settings { charset FOO }` mechanism isn't
>> really ideal, and I'm pretty sure I'll be deprecating it and introducing
>> something different, possibly along the following lines:
>
> Well, the idea of it being inside a file was really simple: To have the encoding
> of a file's strings inside the file.

The problem there is that the setting in the file also governs the
presumed encoding of strings inside /other/ files, namely include files.

> Of course, the more meaningful question - nowadays that even Windows 10 Notepad
> supports UTF-8 properly - is if there is any non-legacy (aka Windows editor)
> reason not to require input to be UTF-8. It is extremely unlikely that anything
> will replace UTF-8 any time soon...

I pretty much agree there. But as long as we're rolling out legacy tools
(aka Windows editor) ourselves, we ought to support it properly.

Post a reply to this message