POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released Server Time
30 Nov 2022 02:41:47 EST (-0500)
  POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released (Message 11 to 17 of 17)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 27 Mar 2017 19:29:43
Message: <58d9a067$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, I installed as administrator instead. But now when I try to run 
the program I get this error instead.

Mike


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'clipboard-4.png' (36 KB)

Preview of image 'clipboard-4.png'
clipboard-4.png


 

From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 28 Mar 2017 05:24:04
Message: <58da2bb4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-03-27 19:09, also sprach Mike Horvath:
> I was unable to install the beta on Windows 7. I've attached a
> screenshot of an error.
>
> I _was_ able to install it on Windows Server 2012 R2 successfully.
>
>
> Mike

I got this on beta4. I didn't say anything because I couldn't duplicate 
it.  But I got this when:
1) Shall I uninstall old version? [Y]
2) Continue installing new version? [Next]
3) bonk.

It didn't create the main directory before starting to write files. If 
you say ignore, it will fail the next file.

So, exit and start again. This time there was no uninstall needed, and 
it ran through fine.
-- 
dik


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 28 Mar 2017 09:22:41
Message: <58da63a1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.03.2017 um 01:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Okay, I installed as administrator instead. But now when I try to run
> the program I get this error instead.

Some portions of POV-Ray are installed globally (e.g. the binaries and
the help file), but others are installed for each user individually
(e.g. the sample scenes and standard include files).

When installing as administrator, the global stuff is installed
normally, but the per-user stuff is only installed for the admin.


Go to the directory where you installed the beta, SHIFT+RightClick on
the "bin" directory, open command prompt.

Presuming you're using the 64-bit version, type

    pvengine64.exe /INSTALL

This will install the per-user stuff for you as well.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 28 Mar 2017 09:27:14
Message: <58da64b2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.03.2017 um 11:24 schrieb dick balaska:
> Am 2017-03-27 19:09, also sprach Mike Horvath:
>> I was unable to install the beta on Windows 7. I've attached a
>> screenshot of an error.
>>
>> I _was_ able to install it on Windows Server 2012 R2 successfully.
>>
>>
>> Mike
> 
> I got this on beta4. I didn't say anything because I couldn't duplicate
> it.  But I got this when:
> 1) Shall I uninstall old version? [Y]
> 2) Continue installing new version? [Next]
> 3) bonk.
> 
> It didn't create the main directory before starting to write files. If
> you say ignore, it will fail the next file.
> 
> So, exit and start again. This time there was no uninstall needed, and
> it ran through fine.


Looks like /some/ problem with the access rights of the previously
installed beta.

It /might/ have to do with the fact that POV-Ray 3.7.1-beta.5 identifies
as "POV-Ray for Windows v3.7-beta" in various contexts now, whereas the
previous betas identified as "POV-Ray for Windows v3.7".


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 28 Mar 2017 19:17:15
Message: <58daeefb$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/28/2017 9:22 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 28.03.2017 um 01:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> Okay, I installed as administrator instead. But now when I try to run
>> the program I get this error instead.
>
> Some portions of POV-Ray are installed globally (e.g. the binaries and
> the help file), but others are installed for each user individually
> (e.g. the sample scenes and standard include files).
>
> When installing as administrator, the global stuff is installed
> normally, but the per-user stuff is only installed for the admin.
>
>
> Go to the directory where you installed the beta, SHIFT+RightClick on
> the "bin" directory, open command prompt.
>
> Presuming you're using the 64-bit version, type
>
>     pvengine64.exe /INSTALL
>
> This will install the per-user stuff for you as well.
>

Does it say any of this in the installer? You might want to explain it 
there too.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 28 Mar 2017 19:21:32
Message: <58daeffc$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/28/2017 9:27 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 28.03.2017 um 11:24 schrieb dick balaska:
>> Am 2017-03-27 19:09, also sprach Mike Horvath:
>>> I was unable to install the beta on Windows 7. I've attached a
>>> screenshot of an error.
>>>
>>> I _was_ able to install it on Windows Server 2012 R2 successfully.
>>>
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> I got this on beta4. I didn't say anything because I couldn't duplicate
>> it.  But I got this when:
>> 1) Shall I uninstall old version? [Y]
>> 2) Continue installing new version? [Next]
>> 3) bonk.
>>
>> It didn't create the main directory before starting to write files. If
>> you say ignore, it will fail the next file.
>>
>> So, exit and start again. This time there was no uninstall needed, and
>> it ran through fine.
>
>
> Looks like /some/ problem with the access rights of the previously
> installed beta.
>
> It /might/ have to do with the fact that POV-Ray 3.7.1-beta.5 identifies
> as "POV-Ray for Windows v3.7-beta" in various contexts now, whereas the
> previous betas identified as "POV-Ray for Windows v3.7".
>

Uninstalling worked when running the uninstaller as admin. However, the 
program does not tell you to do this or prompt you for more rights like 
most Windows programs. In fact the uninstaller even tells you that the 
program has been successfully uninstalled when the files are still there!


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 28 Mar 2017 23:15:23
Message: <58db26cb@news.povray.org>
On 3/28/2017 7:22 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Uninstalling worked when running the uninstaller as admin. However, the
> program does not tell you to do this or prompt you for more rights like
> most Windows programs. In fact the uninstaller even tells you that the
> program has been successfully uninstalled when the files are still there!
>
>
> Mike

Sorry that is confusing.

Quote: "In fact the uninstaller even tells you that the program has been 
successfully uninstalled when the files are still there!"

The above only happens when running as non-admin, I meant to say.

Ideally the installer should warn you that you can't/shouldn't install 
into "Program Files" as a non-admin, which it doesn't AFAIK.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.5 released
Date: 29 Mar 2017 12:29:18
Message: <58dbe0de$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.03.2017 um 05:15 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 3/28/2017 7:22 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> Uninstalling worked when running the uninstaller as admin. However, the
>> program does not tell you to do this or prompt you for more rights like
>> most Windows programs. In fact the uninstaller even tells you that the
>> program has been successfully uninstalled when the files are still there!
>>
>>
>> Mike
> 
> Sorry that is confusing.
> 
> Quote: "In fact the uninstaller even tells you that the program has been
> successfully uninstalled when the files are still there!"
> 
> The above only happens when running as non-admin, I meant to say.
> 
> Ideally the installer should warn you that you can't/shouldn't install
> into "Program Files" as a non-admin, which it doesn't AFAIK.

Writing a good installer is a non-trivial task, and I suspect Chris
Cason knows a lot more about the various pitfalls than I do; he's been
pretty busy lately though, so I've taken over a bit of maintenance work
on the installer. But writing the /ideal/ installer is a challenge I
don't feel up to.


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.