POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma again Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma again (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: clipka
Subject: Gamma again
Date: 4 Dec 2008 11:15:00
Message: <web.493800e833fdefd1f5dae140@news.povray.org>
(now this newsgroup interface bothers me... typing long texts is a PITA because
when you take too long the interface won't accept your message, and even the
browser's "back" button won't bring it back on screen - so you go typing it all
in again... arrrrrh!)

Just wanted to point out that the current approach is too limited in my opinion.
There should be separate (!) options to gamma-correct (or reverse
gamma-correction) for...

- preview output window (to adjust for the PoV-ray user's display of course, if
necessary)

- image output file (to adjust for the "end viewers'" displays, or
post-processing steps that may expect a certain gamma correction)

- image input file, on a per-image(!) basis (to compensate for input files that
may (or may not!) be gamma-corrected for different viewing conditions)

- color literals, (a) on a scene-global scale and (b) on a per-color basis
(maybe using macros; to compensate for colors "picked" in an image processing
software from gamma-corrected pictures)

Also note that *all* these settings shold allow for *arbitrary* corrections, not
just the choice of either "no gamma correction" or "corrected for a gamma of
2.2".

Yes, I know some people will mis-use it to work around their scene lighting
problems, but what the heck - give them good default values, encourage them to
check & adjust their preview window gamma correction in the global .ini file,
but don't be too inviting about the other settings in the documentation, and it
should be ok I guess.

Post a reply to this message

> (now this newsgroup interface bothers me... typing long texts is a PITA because
> when you take too long the interface won't accept your message, and even the
> browser's "back" button won't bring it back on screen - so you go typing it all
> in again... arrrrrh!)

I have learned this the hard way (many times).  Now I've learned to select all
and copy prior to attaempting to submit.  That way if it fails I can just
respond again and paste the text back in...

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> (now this newsgroup interface bothers me... typing long texts is a PITA because
> when you take too long the interface won't accept your message, and even the
> browser's "back" button won't bring it back on screen - so you go typing it all
> in again... arrrrrh!)

The back button works just fine. Make sure you don't have some browser
settings clearing the data. The site does nothing to clear the contents of
the message posting form.

BTW, sessions expire after one hour of inactivity. If you don't like that,
you can always use a newsreader ;-)

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> BTW, sessions expire after one hour of inactivity.

...so also make sure your system clock is set right!

Post a reply to this message