POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Old README file Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Old README file (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Old README file
Date: 28 Nov 2008 21:15:50
Message: <4930a5d5@news.povray.org>
I think I had said this before, but now I can't find my post, so I'll assume
I didn't :)

The README file in povray-src-3.7.0.beta.29.tar.bz2 is still from 3.6. This
is misleading.

When I opened it, I quickly skipped a few sections. Then I read stuff
like "The source distribution of POV-Ray 3.6 is bundled with all the
3rd-party libraries which provide support for various image format such as
JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. The ZLIB library is also provided since the PNG
library depends on it."

And I thought, what the hell? I'm sure the image libraries weren't bundled
in 3.7 anymore. Looked around a bit, couldn't find the libs. Then noticed

Post a reply to this message

I think you are missing something very important about
povray-src-3.7.0.beta.29.tar.bz2 .......

BETA

"Quietman" <quietman 1968 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> I think you are missing something very important about
> povray-src-3.7.0.beta.29.tar.bz2 .......
>
> BETA

The point of a beta is testing it and reporting problems. I found one, and
reported it.

Post a reply to this message

> "Quietman" <quietman 1968 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>> I think you are missing something very important about
>> povray-src-3.7.0.beta.29.tar.bz2 .......
>>
>> BETA
>
> The point of a beta is testing it and reporting problems. I found one, and
> reported it.

Fair enough Nicolas but my point was that its work in progress and not
completed yet. I am pretty sure the POV Ray team are well aware of what
documentation is in the beta release...

Post a reply to this message

Thanks for the report, I'll see it's fixed.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

"Quietman" <quietman 1968 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

> "Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>> "Quietman" <quietman 1968 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>>> I think you are missing something very important about
>>> povray-src-3.7.0.beta.29.tar.bz2 .......
>>>
>>> BETA
>>
>> The point of a beta is testing it and reporting problems. I found one,
>> and
>> reported it.
>>

> Fair enough Nicolas but my point was that its work in progress and not
> completed yet. I am pretty sure the POV Ray team are well aware of what
> documentation is in the beta release...

Oh seems like I owe you an apology Nicolas, hadn't realized you were so
involved with POV Ray. I get so used to seeing posts about things not being
right in the Beta releases and replies saying its Beta I thought I'd join
in. Wish I hadn't now...

Sorry.

Post a reply to this message

>> Fair enough Nicolas but my point was that its work in progress and not
>> completed yet. I am pretty sure the POV Ray team are well aware of
>> what documentation is in the beta release...
>>

> Oh seems like I owe you an apology Nicolas, hadn't realized you were so
> involved with POV Ray.

He isn't...

	Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message

>>> Fair enough Nicolas but my point was that its work in progress and not
>>> completed yet. I am pretty sure the POV Ray team are well aware of what
>>> documentation is in the beta release...
>>>

>> Oh seems like I owe you an apology Nicolas, hadn't realized you were so
>> involved with POV Ray.
>
> He isn't...
>
> Thorsten, POV-Team

lol.... I'll get my coat....