POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows v3.7 beta 27 now available. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Windows v3.7 beta 27 now available. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Windows v3.7 beta 27 now available.
Date: 1 Jul 2008 23:46:52
Message: <486afa2c@news.povray.org>
There is a Win32 v3.7 beta 27 now available via the beta page:

  http://www.povray.org/beta/

Apart from the usual bugfixes, this is the first Windows 3.7 beta to come
with an installer and full fileset. It is provided as a Windows Installer
MSI file.

This installer is not complete in terms of functionality (see release notes
below) but does what's needed for beta testers to use it on their own systems.

The source will be updated to beta 27 shortly.

-- Chris

Changes between 3.7.beta.26 and 3.7.beta.27

Fixed incorrect flag test which would have resulted in issues with cutaway
textures and CSG or objects with double_illuminate set.

Fixed crash with inverse and CSG reported in
<web.4828b51b6d261ebff3e4f6a20@news.povray.org>.

Added support for specifying grayscale output via INI file or command-line.

  This is intended to replace the use of hf_gray_16 in global_settings.
  hf_gray_16, if encountered, has no effect on the output type and will
  additionally generate a warning message (as before).

  Currently only PNG file support is provided with grayscale output; others
  will be added over time.

  Grayscale output may be specified via 'Grayscale_Output=true' as an INI
  option, or '+Fxg' (for output type 'x') as a command-line option. For
  example, '+Fng' for PNG grayscale output.

  Caveat: grayscale output implies the maximum bit-depth the format
  supports; for PNG this is 16. it is not valid to specify bits per color
  channel with 'g' (e.g. '+Fng16' is not allowed, and nor for that matter
  is '+Fn16g'). If bits per channel is provided via an INI option, it is
  ignored.

Improved handling of memory allocation failures during parse.

Fixed issue whereby manual bounds, clips, patterns, UV, and interior were
left behind when a transformation was applied to a CSG object.

Changed back to using pvengine.ini to store POVWIN options and improved the
code that migrates version 3.6 options (if present) to 3.7. NOTE: not all
options from the v3.6 pvengine.ini are migrated: this is intentional and
may change later (it mainly involves options that contained pathnames).

Further split the POVWIN install and data dirs - this moves the ini,
scenes, and insert menu directories to the user's Application Data folder,
e.g. c:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\POV-Ray\v3.7\.

Created a Windows Installer which takes care of setting up the above for
Win32 systems. Win64 is pending. NOTE: the installer currently only
installs for the user who ran it: that is, the 'Application
Data\POV-Ray\v3.7\...' files are only installed for that user. This won't
be the case with the final installer; it will set things up such that when
pvengine.exe is run for the first time by a user who has not had the
program set up for them, the appropriate files are created in their
Application Data directory (this is a Windows Installer feature).

Post a reply to this message

> There is a Win32 v3.7 beta 27 now available via the beta page:
>
>   http://www.povray.org/beta/

Yay!

> Added support for specifying grayscale output via INI file or command-line.

I'm glad for that. I didn't miss it until I tried to output a 16-bit
grayscale image the other day. It didn't work :/

> Fixed issue whereby manual bounds, clips, patterns, UV, and interior were
> left behind when a transformation was applied to a CSG object.

I'll test this to see if it fixes my additive transformation{} problem.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> Fixed issue whereby manual bounds, clips, patterns, UV, and interior were
> left behind when a transformation was applied to a CSG object.

Yay!  This was effecting one of my projects :)

...Chambers