POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : MORAY programmers wanted Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  MORAY programmers wanted (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Calvin
Subject: Re: MORAY programmers wanted
Date: 21 Mar 2008 10:25:01
Message: <web.47e3d259fdef6e0e77a62f940@news.povray.org>
> As many of you would be aware, POV-Ray now owns the Moray source code base.
> We will be re-releasing this under the GPL3 once it is in working order.
> However the main issue at this point is that Moray used a commercial
> component in its tool bar, which we obviously cannot re-license. Thus, to
> get a working Moray executable we at this time need someone who is
> proficient with Visual Studio 2005 to jump into the code and do what is
> needed to remove the old toolbar code and either stub it out or replace it
> with whatever would be most appropriate via other open-source toolkits.
>
> It is longer-term a goal of ours to have Moray move to being a cross-
> platform tool, however I'm not sure if it is wise to do both of the above
> at once (i.e. skip the basic 'get it up and working' and go straight to the
> full conversion). I'd like to see something working sooner rather than later;]
>
> In either event, we're seeking some enthusiastic coders from the community
> who may be interested in taking this. I thought it would be fair to ask
> here, on our own news server, first, prior to making it more public.
>
> Note that we do ask of the coders who volunteer that they be willing to
> devote a reasonable amount of time into the project in the short to medium
> term, since this is when their time will be needed most.
>
> Anyone who is interested feel free to reply to this post [followup set to
> povray.general] or email me direct.
>
> regards,
>
> -- Chris

Chris -

I can take a crack at this. I can get it up and running in relatively short
order and provide guidance on cross-platform-ing it down the road.

I have the next week (after Easter) off from teaching, so I'll have the most
amount of time then.

Post a reply to this message

> I can take a crack at this. I can get it up and running in relatively short
> order and provide guidance on cross-platform-ing it down the road.
>
> I have the next week (after Easter) off from teaching, so I'll have the most
> amount of time then.

Hi,

Can you contact me via email please? I don't have your email address handy.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I have the next week (after Easter) off from teaching, so I'll have the most
> amount of time then.

PS apologies for only replying this weekend - I realise the above week is
already over, but I only just today caught up with the newsgroup.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> As many of you would be aware, POV-Ray now owns the Moray source code base.
> We will be re-releasing this under the GPL3 once it is in working order.
> However the main issue at this point is that Moray used a commercial
> component in its tool bar, which we obviously cannot re-license. Thus, to
> get a working Moray executable we at this time need someone who is
> proficient with Visual Studio 2005 to jump into the code and do what is
> needed to remove the old toolbar code and either stub it out or replace it
> with whatever would be most appropriate via other open-source toolkits.
>
> It is longer-term a goal of ours to have Moray move to being a cross-
> platform tool, however I'm not sure if it is wise to do both of the above
> at once (i.e. skip the basic 'get it up and working' and go straight to the
> full conversion). I'd like to see something working sooner rather than later;]
>
> In either event, we're seeking some enthusiastic coders from the community
> who may be interested in taking this. I thought it would be fair to ask
> here, on our own news server, first, prior to making it more public.
>
> Note that we do ask of the coders who volunteer that they be willing to
> devote a reasonable amount of time into the project in the short to medium
> term, since this is when their time will be needed most.
>
> Anyone who is interested feel free to reply to this post [followup set to
> povray.general] or email me direct.
>
> regards,
>
> -- Chris

I would be happy to help if I knew something of C++.
Alas!
Why not put emphasis on the home page?
This is a good message for anyone!

Thanks for your work.

Post a reply to this message

> As many of you would be aware, POV-Ray now owns the Moray source code base.
> We will be re-releasing this under the GPL3 once it is in working order.
> However the main issue at this point is that Moray used a commercial
> component in its tool bar, which we obviously cannot re-license. Thus, to
> get a working Moray executable we at this time need someone who is
> proficient with Visual Studio 2005 to jump into the code and do what is
> needed to remove the old toolbar code and either stub it out or replace it
> with whatever would be most appropriate via other open-source toolkits.

Chris, did you ever find anyone to take care of this? I remember meeting Lutz at
the SIGGRAPH in Orlando, FL in the mid 90s and talking to him about the Moray
code, he was so enthusiatic.

I've been using Visual C++ since v1.0 and I use Visual Studio every day (I
upgraded to VS 2008 a couple of months ago but it's fully compatible with VS
2005). I'd be happy to help out if needed.

-Rob

Post a reply to this message

> Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
>> As many of you would be aware, POV-Ray now owns the Moray source code base.
>> We will be re-releasing this under the GPL3 once it is in working order.
>> However the main issue at this point is that Moray used a commercial
>> component in its tool bar, which we obviously cannot re-license. Thus, to
>> get a working Moray executable we at this time need someone who is
>> proficient with Visual Studio 2005 to jump into the code and do what is
>> needed to remove the old toolbar code and either stub it out or replace it
>> with whatever would be most appropriate via other open-source toolkits.
>
> Chris, did you ever find anyone to take care of this? I remember meeting Lutz at
> the SIGGRAPH in Orlando, FL in the mid 90s and talking to him about the Moray
> code, he was so enthusiatic.
>
> I've been using Visual C++ since v1.0 and I use Visual Studio every day (I
> upgraded to VS 2008 a couple of months ago but it's fully compatible with VS
> 2005). I'd be happy to help out if needed.

I only just saw this message (the thread had scrolled out of view). Thanks
for the offer - I'll drop you an email.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message