POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : texture_map bug Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  texture_map bug (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: stbenge
Subject: texture_map bug
Date: 21 Jan 2008 01:51:46
Message: <47944102@news.povray.org>
Found another one... This one occurs when using a texture_map where one
of the entries contains a reflection value which is > 1-2/256. An
example of this would be:

texture{
  granite
  texture_map{
   [0 pigment{rgb 0}]
   [1
    pigment{rgb 0}
    finish{reflection 1}
   ]
  }
}

It does not seem to occur during test renders. It happens only when
either antialiasing or focal blur is used for a final render. There is
no error per-se; POV-Ray simply shuts down without warning, error
message, or log file. I was fortunate to discover that using reflection
1-2/256 would not cause POV to simply shut down on me.

I tested this with 3.7.beta.24 and 3.7.beta.23. Both the standard and
sse2 versions were used, with all versions producing the same bug.
Version 3.6 and MegaPOV 1.2.1 worked perfectly.

Here are my system specs:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.40 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Sam

Post a reply to this message

stbenge nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/21 01:51:
> Found another one... This one occurs when using a texture_map where one
> of the entries contains a reflection value which is > 1-2/256. An
> example of this would be:
>
> texture{
>  granite
>  texture_map{
>   [0 pigment{rgb 0}]
>   [1
>    pigment{rgb 0}
>    finish{reflection 1}
>   ]
>  }
> }
>
> It does not seem to occur during test renders. It happens only when
> either antialiasing or focal blur is used for a final render. There is
> no error per-se; POV-Ray simply shuts down without warning, error
> message, or log file. I was fortunate to discover that using reflection
> 1-2/256 would not cause POV to simply shut down on me.
>
> I tested this with 3.7.beta.24 and 3.7.beta.23. Both the standard and
> sse2 versions were used, with all versions producing the same bug.
> Version 3.6 and MegaPOV 1.2.1 worked perfectly.
>
> Here are my system specs:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP
> Home Edition
> Version 2002
> Service Pack 2
>
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU
> Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> 2.40 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
>
> Sam
Using aa, I can't reproduce.
Using focal blur, I can reproduce in some cases: Camera inside a box with the
pattern.
Windows XP pro corporate SP2
AMD Athlon 1400 MHz 1.5 GB of RAM.

--
Alain
Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to blurt out
this excuse #1:  I was working smarter - not harder.

Post a reply to this message

> Using focal blur, I can reproduce in some cases: Camera inside a box
> with the pattern.
> Windows XP pro corporate SP2
> AMD Athlon 1400 MHz 1.5 GB of RAM.

I justed this scene, and it caused POV to abruptly shut down:

// begin code
camera{
  location -z
  look_at 0
}

sphere{0,1
  texture{
   bumps
   texture_map{
    [0 pigment{rgb 1}]
    [1 pigment{rgb 1} finish{reflection 1}]
   }
  }
}
// end code

This also crashes POV:

// begin code
sphere{0,1
  texture{
   bozo
   texture_map{
    [0 pigment{rgb 0}]
    [1 pigment{rgb 0} finish{reflection 1}]
   }
  }
}
// end code

For both of these tests I used neither antialiasing nor focal blur. I
tested it without command line options and got the same result.

It should be noted that this happens regardless the thread count.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

stbenge nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/21 19:14:
> Alain wrote:
>> Using aa, I can't reproduce.
>> Using focal blur, I can reproduce in some cases: Camera inside a box
>> with the pattern.
>> Windows XP pro corporate SP2
>> AMD Athlon 1400 MHz 1.5 GB of RAM.
>>

> I justed this scene, and it caused POV to abruptly shut down:
>
> // begin code
> camera{
>  location -z
>  look_at 0
> }
>
> sphere{0,1
>  texture{
>   bumps
>   texture_map{
>    [0 pigment{rgb 1}]
>    [1 pigment{rgb 1} finish{reflection 1}]
>   }
>  }
> }
> // end code
>
> This also crashes POV:
>
> // begin code
> sphere{0,1
>  texture{
>   bozo
>   texture_map{
>    [0 pigment{rgb 0}]
>    [1 pigment{rgb 0} finish{reflection 1}]
>   }
>  }
> }
> // end code
>
> For both of these tests I used neither antialiasing nor focal blur. I
> tested it without command line options and got the same result.
>
> It should be noted that this happens regardless the thread count.
>
> Sam
Tried all sample texture_map. On a single spheres and on a pair of tangent
spheres. With and without aa and focal blur. All renders completed normaly.
Only abrupt exit is with the camera inside a box with the frist example
texture_map. Did not try the last two on the box.
It may be a thing about single core VS. multi cores architecture...
You on a quad core, me on a single core.

--
Alain
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 22 Jan 2008 19:08:08
Message: <47968568@news.povray.org>
>> // begin code
>> sphere{0,1
>>  texture{
>>   bozo
>>   texture_map{
>>    [0 pigment{rgb 0}]
>>    [1 pigment{rgb 0} finish{reflection 1}]
>>   }
>>  }
>> }
>> // end code

This abrupt exits in beta 24 on my machine too,
Win XP, 32 bit Athlon

Runs fine in 3.6

Post a reply to this message

From: jva
Date: 23 Jan 2008 09:10:01
Message: <web.47974a65f11ca3f913976e550@news.povray.org>
The two examples give an immediate crash on my WinXP machine as well. But it
seems that perhaps it has something to do with the camera? Because when I add a
simple camera definition to the second example such as

camera { location <5,2,0> look_at 0 }

it renders without incident in beta 24.

In the first example as well, changing the camera parameters seems to solve the
problem on my PC in some cases, for example:

camera { location <5,1,0> look_at 0 }   OK
camera { location x look_at 0 }         crash
camera { location 2*x look_at 0 }       OK
camera { location -2*z look_at 0 }      OK
camera { location z look_at 0 }         crash

Jeroen.

"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> >> // begin code
> >> sphere{0,1
> >>  texture{
> >>   bozo
> >>   texture_map{
> >>    [0 pigment{rgb 0}]
> >>    [1 pigment{rgb 0} finish{reflection 1}]
> >>   }
> >>  }
> >> }
> >> // end code
>
> This abrupt exits in beta 24 on my machine too,
> Win XP, 32 bit Athlon
>
> Runs fine in 3.6

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 23 Jan 2008 10:04:13
Message: <4797576d@news.povray.org>
jva nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/23 09:08:
> The two examples give an immediate crash on my WinXP machine as well. But it
> seems that perhaps it has something to do with the camera? Because when I add a
> simple camera definition to the second example such as
>
> camera { location <5,2,0> look_at 0 }
>
> it renders without incident in beta 24.
>
> In the first example as well, changing the camera parameters seems to solve the
> problem on my PC in some cases, for example:
>
> camera { location <5,1,0> look_at 0 }   OK
Outside the sphere
> camera { location x look_at 0 }         crash
On the sphere's surface
> camera { location 2*x look_at 0 }       OK
> camera { location -2*z look_at 0 }      OK
Both outside the spehre
> camera { location z look_at 0 }         crash
On the sphere's surface

Default camera is at 0, the center of the sphere.

In my tests, crash if the camera is inside a box with the pattern.

--
Alain
When the bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking about