POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity status Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity status (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Zoly
Subject: Radiosity status
Date: 5 Jan 2008 12:42:15
Message: <477fc177@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I would like to know what the status of Radiosity is in the 3.7 development
process. This functionality is working faster than before but it still
produces less quality images than version 3.6a. There are artifacts created
I believe by the use of multithreading as the borders of the regions
processed by separate threads are not always continuous.

Apart from this, there is an issue reported by me in April and that has not
been fixed regarding the use of radiosity with meshes and uv_mapping.

Thanks,
Zoly

Post a reply to this message

> produces less quality images than version 3.6a. There are artifacts created
> I believe by the use of multithreading as the borders of the regions
> processed by separate threads are not always continuous.

I don't think the artifacts are caused by multithreading. I tried using
different block sizes (down to 2), and the artifacts remained the same.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to know what the status of Radiosity is in the 3.7 development
> process. This functionality is working faster than before but it still
> produces less quality images than version 3.6a. There are artifacts created
> I believe by the use of multithreading as the borders of the regions
> processed by separate threads are not always continuous.
>
> Apart from this, there is an issue reported by me in April and that has not
> been fixed regarding the use of radiosity with meshes and uv_mapping.

Basically, no-one has been working on the radiosity at all. We want to get
(nearly) everything else sorted out before touching the code, since it will
take some concentration to do what we need, and we don't want to be
distracted with other issues.

We will be releasing the beta source shortly, so if anyone is interested in
working on that code, the opportunity will be there.

-- Chris