POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray-3.7.0.beta.19.msvc8-sse2.win32 crash Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray-3.7.0.beta.19.msvc8-sse2.win32 crash (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Rarius
Subject: POV-Ray-3.7.0.beta.19.msvc8-sse2.win32 crash
Date: 6 Feb 2007 11:44:36
Message: <45c8b074@news.povray.org>
When rendering the attached POV file, POVRay craches with a access
violation. I have also included the dump file.

I am rendering at 320x240 AA0.3, on a PentiumD 620 (2x2.8GHz) with 1Gb of
DDR RAM.

This crash is 100% repeatable and it always crashes in exactly the same bit
of the image, the 4th block of 4th row at 320x240.

I beleive the problem may be due to light_group handling as this was the
last thing I added to the scene file. If I remove the light_group from the
Pod #declare, it renders OK.  It also renders quite OK in POV3.6.1c

If you need any more info, just ask

Rarius

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'battlestar.pov.txt' (34 KB) Download 'POV-Ray-3.7.0.beta.19.msvc8-sse2.win32-45C8B008.dmp.dat' (46 KB)

> When rendering the attached POV file, POVRay craches with a access
> violation. I have also included the dump file.
>
> I am rendering at 320x240 AA0.3, on a PentiumD 620 (2x2.8GHz) with 1Gb of
> DDR RAM.
>
> This crash is 100% repeatable and it always crashes in exactly the same bit
> of the image, the 4th block of 4th row at 320x240.
>
> I beleive the problem may be due to light_group handling as this was the
> last thing I added to the scene file. If I remove the light_group from the
> Pod #declare, it renders OK.  It also renders quite OK in POV3.6.1c

Thanks for this, will investigate.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

>> When rendering the attached POV file, POVRay craches with a access
>> violation. I have also included the dump file.
>>
>> I am rendering at 320x240 AA0.3, on a PentiumD 620 (2x2.8GHz) with 1Gb of
>> DDR RAM.
>>
>> This crash is 100% repeatable and it always crashes in exactly the same bit
>> of the image, the 4th block of 4th row at 320x240.
>>
>> I beleive the problem may be due to light_group handling as this was the
>> last thing I added to the scene file. If I remove the light_group from the
>> Pod #declare, it renders OK.  It also renders quite OK in POV3.6.1c
>
> Thanks for this, will investigate.
>
> -- Chris

For what it's worth, rendering that scene file on the same version and
with the same rendering options doesn't cause a crash for me.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au

Post a reply to this message

>>> When rendering the attached POV file, POVRay craches with a access
>>> violation. I have also included the dump file.
>>>
>>> I am rendering at 320x240 AA0.3, on a PentiumD 620 (2x2.8GHz) with 1Gb
>>> of
>>> DDR RAM.
>>>
>>> This crash is 100% repeatable and it always crashes in exactly the same
>>> bit
>>> of the image, the 4th block of 4th row at 320x240.
>>>

> For what it's worth, rendering that scene file on the same version and
> with the same rendering options doesn't cause a crash for me.
>
> Lance.

Neither did I register a crash. Rendered smoothly. 4th row, 4th block takes
longer that's all.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> When rendering the attached POV file, POVRay craches with a access
> violation. I have also included the dump file.
>
> I am rendering at 320x240 AA0.3, on a PentiumD 620 (2x2.8GHz) with 1Gb of
> DDR RAM.
>
> This crash is 100% repeatable and it always crashes in exactly the same bit
> of the image, the 4th block of 4th row at 320x240.
>
> I beleive the problem may be due to light_group handling as this was the
> last thing I added to the scene file. If I remove the light_group from the
> Pod #declare, it renders OK.  It also renders quite OK in POV3.6.1c
>
> If you need any more info, just ask

Does this problem still occur with the current beta? I did analyse the dump
you provided but it doesn't have enough information to really be sure of the
cause; if it still happens with beta 20a I'd want to get you a debug compile
so the dump is more detailed.

regards,

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> Does this problem still occur with the current beta? I did analyse the
> dump
> you provided but it doesn't have enough information to really be sure of
> the
> cause; if it still happens with beta 20a I'd want to get you a debug
> compile
> so the dump is more detailed.
>
> regards,
>
> -- Chris

I have just re-run the test with the same files... It fails consistantly
with 3.7Beta20, both SSE2 and standard build.  But works consitantly with
3.7Beta20a, both builds!

Many thanks

Rarius