POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. (Message 21 to 26 of 26)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
Date: 16 Sep 2005 08:24:03
Message: <432ab963$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> I'm sure a lot of people do this, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of
> someone who had used assumed_gamma properly. For instance, if I had
> discovered assumed_gamma one day and decided I should use it, I would have
> set assumed_gamma 1.8 (for instance) in all my old scenes (since I had
> developed them assuming the viewer had the same gamma my screen did), and
> then used assumed_gamma 1 in all my new scenes. If I also set
> display_gamma=1.8 in povray.ini, my old scenes wouldn't change, and my new
> scenes would be rendered properly for anyone else who had their
> display_gamma set.

This logic won't fly, I am afraid.  In this case all you do is fix the
incorrect use of assumed-gamma in the old scenes (because you had an
incorrectly set display-gamma).  And it would be easier to do in an INI file
then because you would only have to supply one "old scenes" INI file.

As pointed out, there really should be only one gamma setting, not two.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message