POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Linux] RC5 memory leak? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  [Linux] RC5 memory leak? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Edmund Urbani
Subject: [Linux] RC5 memory leak?
Date: 31 May 2002 06:42:22
Message: <3cf7538e@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I rendered the patio-radio.pov example (with somewhat tweaked radiosity
settings for higher quality) at a resolution of 2048x1536 with AA. It took
about 3 days on my Athlon/500 and all the time the amount of memory used by
povray was steadily increasing (to about 200MB).
Looks like a memory leak to me (or is there a good reason why povray takes
up more and more memory during rendering?).

I can post the exact settings used+modifications to patio-radio.pov here if
needed.

 Edmund

Post a reply to this message

> I rendered the patio-radio.pov example (with somewhat tweaked radiosity
> settings for higher quality) at a resolution of 2048x1536 with AA. It took
> about 3 days on my Athlon/500 and all the time the amount of memory used by
> povray was steadily increasing (to about 200MB).
> Looks like a memory leak to me (or is there a good reason why povray takes
> up more and more memory during rendering?).

This is perfectly natural with radiosity and 'always_sample' on (default),
samples taken during final trace are continuously stored for possible
later reuse.  If you have problems with that either use 'always_sample
off' or render in several parts.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 05 May. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>> I rendered the patio-radio.pov example (with somewhat tweaked radiosity
>> settings for higher quality) at a resolution of 2048x1536 with AA. It
>> took about 3 days on my Athlon/500 and all the time the amount of memory
>> used by povray was steadily increasing (to about 200MB).
>> Looks like a memory leak to me (or is there a good reason why povray
>> takes up more and more memory during rendering?).
>
> This is perfectly natural with radiosity and 'always_sample' on (default),
> samples taken during final trace are continuously stored for possible
> later reuse.  If you have problems with that either use 'always_sample
> off' or render in several parts.
>
> Christoph

No problem with that (my Athlon's got 256MB Ram and I'm not planning to
render with any higher quality settings). I was just wondering whether it
was a leak.

Thanks for the quick reply!

 Edmund