POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Field rendering bug? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Field rendering bug? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: PovRAY
Subject: Field rendering bug?
Date: 6 May 2002 16:25:59
Message: <3cd6e6d7@news.povray.org>
I'm actually using povray 3.1 but perhaps this applies to the new beta too.

The documentation for "Field Rendering" says that line numbering in pov
starts from 0 and that by default it outputs an EVEN field first. This
suggests that in the first output file out001.tga it is the TOP line and
following alternate lines which contain the useful data, with the other
lines beneath being duplicates.

However using povray 3.1 it seems that my out001.tga file has the
line-below-the-top which contains the useful data, and the line immediately
below is a duplicate. This looks like the ODD field is first (if you count
line numbers from 0).

Is this a bug? And does the beta behave like this?

Colin

Post a reply to this message

> I'm actually using povray 3.1 but perhaps this applies to the new beta too.
>
> The documentation for "Field Rendering" says that line numbering in pov
> starts from 0 and that by default it outputs an EVEN field first. This
> suggests that in the first output file out001.tga it is the TOP line and
> following alternate lines which contain the useful data, with the other
> lines beneath being duplicates.
>
> However using povray 3.1 it seems that my out001.tga file has the
> line-below-the-top which contains the useful data, and the line immediately
> below is a duplicate. This looks like the ODD field is first (if you count
> line numbers from 0).
>
> Is this a bug? And does the beta behave like this?

Line numbering in POV-Ray starts from zero for historic and compter graphic
standard reasons.  However, as in hardware (and any non-CS use) counting
starts from one, lines are of course counted from one in this respect...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.