POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Buglist 22 Apr 2002 (RC2) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Buglist 22 Apr 2002 (RC2) (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Warp
Subject: Buglist 22 Apr 2002 (RC2)
Date: 21 Apr 2002 19:41:55
Message: <3cc34e42@news.povray.org>
I might have missed some bugs reported since the last buglist, so feel
free to reply with a note.

  Officially confirmed bugs:
  -------------------------

* Crash with "Reallocing Finite with extension"
  Reported in:
Reallocing Finite with extension (with crash)
http://news.povray.org/8laa5us450irp75g6l2i4e84dm1c4v4i01@4ax.com
crash with some boxes /infinite boxes
http://news.povray.org/3c375d62$1@news.povray.org

  Bugs with no official confirmation:
  ----------------------------------

* Media problem
  (A visible whitish line appears at the edge of a transparent container
  box for media. Needs confirmation.)
  Reported in:
Media visible container line in front of object
http://news.povray.org/3bf45a3d@news.povray.org

* Prism transformation problem
  (Conic prism illumination is not correct after certain rotations. Bug
  status unclear.)
  (Note: It has been reported that this bug would not happen in POV-Ray 3.1.
   This needs verification.)
  Reported in:
rare conic prism bug
http://news.povray.org/3C51212E.9090707@irrwerk.de

  Problems still being worked on:
  ------------------------------

* TIFF problems
  (Several problems reading different types of TIFF images. The problems
  are related to the TIFF library itself. TIFF support might just be
  removed.)
  Reported in:
tiff problems in reading (including crash, including [doc])
http://news.povray.org/n96b3uk1ft7mvb991s3htjt14ekb7j8fn7@4ax.com

  Problems in "suspended" status (most probably will not be fixed in 3.5):

* Poly object bug (job000038)
  (Some polys show artifacts)
  Reported in:
Re: trivial question on topic
http://news.povray.org/3BEBEB4C.CA854309@pacbell.net

* Highlight bug (job000137)
  (Highlights are sometimes visible in the non-lit side of a surface with
  highly perturbed normals)
  Reported in:
Highlight bug
http://news.povray.org/3bb4cf08@news.povray.org

* Radiosity sampling problems (job000177)
  (radiosity sample counter is reset to the start every time, sampling
  artefacts are produced)
  Reported in:
[bug]: radiosity sampling, with fix method.
http://news.povray.org/3BC5A13E.9C022BD6@reading.ac.uk
  (A possibly related report:
Radiosity samples during pretrace.
http://news.povray.org/3c587c7a@news.povray.org)

* Several blob bugs (job000189)
  (Among other problems, blobs have holes in certain circumstances, such as
  very small or big component radiuses)
  Reported in:
blob problem
http://news.povray.org/3b99052c@news.povray.org
Blob : Toward a solution
http://news.povray.org/3B991C90.D715B7A3@free.fr
Possible bug with blobs
http://news.povray.org/3c407ad3$1@news.povray.org
Additional (?) blob bug
http://news.povray.org/Xns9115B92CF7D8ACQ@204.213.191.226
Blob rendering error
http://news.povray.org/Xns91203DC7F3CCQ@204.213.191.226
Bug with blobs and media
http://news.povray.org/3be5f0b2@news.povray.org
Blob component textures transformed twize
http://news.povray.org/3bf70645@news.povray.org
blob casting incorrect shadows on itself
http://news.povray.org/Xns919C1CAA3E23Egerovandordatanethu@204.213.191.226

* Superellipsoid bug (job000190)
  (Strange dark patches occur on a superellipsoid when the east-west-
  exponent is set very small)
  Reported in:
[superellipsoid] epsilon to big ?
http://news.povray.org/3b992a81@news.povray.org

* Sphere sweep bug (job000200)
  (discontinuous normals on inverse of sphere_sweep)
  Reported in:
bug in sphere_sweep for removing parts of an object
http://news.povray.org/3C1A5D47.EA38F6E5@amc.uva.nl

* Bicubic patch bug (job000202)
  (Bicubic patch triangles disappear in some circumstances.)
  Reported in:
Bicubic patch triangles disappear
http://news.povray.org/3c23b26c@news.povray.org

* Radiosity doesn't take double_illuminate into account (job000207)
  Reported in:
double_illuminate only works with direct lighting
http://news.povray.org/3BF6F1FE.D21B0C6@oreka.com

* Mapping warps+transformation bug (job000212)
  (Object lighting is calculated incorrectly when mapping warps are used
  in normals and the object is rotated)
  Reported in:
Mapping warp and render window bugs
http://news.povray.org/Xns9190F27EBFE9Bcsbhccse@204.213.191.226
Severe Lightbug, probably concerned with Macros... (long post)
http://news.povray.org/3C4ABED3.F038E200@gmx.de

* Julia object problem (job000216)
  (Julia objects sometimes present random artifacts. Whether this is an
  actual bug or just a floating point or other type of precision problem is
  not clear.)
  Reported in:
Julia object bug (Michael McKnight)
http://news.povray.org/3839f08c@news.povray.org

* "Camera inside non-hollow object" reported erroneously in some cases
  with light_groups. (job000226)
  Reported in:
Re: hollow in light groups
http://news.povray.org/3c21172d$1@news.povray.org

* Media+fog problem (job000230)
  (Using media and fog has strange effects. Bug status unclear.)
  Reported in:
media & fog bug?
http://news.povray.org/3c1379e0$1@news.povray.org
  Another Media+fog problem report with unclear bug status:
Funky fog vs. media
http://news.povray.org/3c642f94$1@news.povray.org

* Smooth triangle problem
  (In smooth meshes and smooth heightfields surface normals are sometimes
  inverted when they shouldn't. The nature of this problem is such that it
  will probably be fixed only in POV4.)
  Reported in:
Heightfield bug (most probably an inverted normals problem)
http://news.povray.org/3c4ca8ff@news.povray.org

* Vector arithmetic using t problems
  (Cannot be changed until 4.0.)
  Reported in:
<1, 0, 0> + 1*t
http://news.povray.org/3c4bb31d$1@news.povray.org
Initialisation of a 4-vector array
http://news.povray.org/3c4fe83b@news.povray.org

* Slope pattern problem
  (The slope pattern is not rotated by subsequent rotate commands.)
  Reported in:
Non-rotating slope maps in 3.5.beta.11.incl.win32
http://news.povray.org/3c6bcc65$1@news.povray.org

  Fixed bugs:
  ----------

* Exponentiation operator bug (job000180)
  (An operation of the form sin(x)^sin(x) causes a crash in some cases.)
  Reported in:
sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash!
http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org

* Spline bug (job000181)
  (Changes from render to render. Control points are sometimes missing.)
  Reported in:
Strange spline problem
http://news.povray.org/Xns9136AC2E64F60seed7@povray.org

* Spline bug (job000182)
  (The spline path is all wrong when certain time values are used.)
  Reported in:
Strange spline bug
http://news.povray.org/3bb41dc8@news.povray.org

* Light groups bug (job000197)
  (In some cases lights in light groups don't cast shadows)
  Reported in:
Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows
http://news.povray.org/3bfd4d63@news.povray.org

* Triangle texture bug (job000199)
  (Problems with triangle texture interpolation.)
  Reported in:
Re: triangle texture interpolation
http://news.povray.org/3C0A8288.DDA0905B@free.fr

* transform syntax bug (job000214)
  (transform sometimes requires {} and sometimes doesn't)
  Reported in:
transform syntax
http://news.povray.org/3C09EE1B.A38DC91A@gmx.de

* WinPOV problem
  (If POV-Ray starts minimized and shows 'tip of the day', it causes problems
  in trying to restore the main window.)
  Reported in:
Minor Windows annoyance
http://news.povray.org/3c2bec89@news.povray.org

* Memory leak in interrupted renders
  Reported in:
Partial render memory leak
http://news.povray.org/3C47228A.D7680441@twoalpha.net

* Camera is off by half-pixel
http://news.povray.org/3bccc696@news.povray.org

* function_id highlighted in WinPOV editor
http://news.povray.org/jfji3ug1faevn1jk3mlko64sb71ptmmn97%404ax.com

* Crash when interrupting while #debug is printing.
http://news.povray.org/332m2uspk9nfqfq6g7oc8qtmkcu5higjs7@4ax.com

* #while crash..
http://news.povray.org/3c38646f@news.povray.org

* Crash with infinite loop
http://news.povray.org/3c2cb9b7@news.povray.org

* Bicubic patch UV-vector bug
http://news.povray.org/3C5F1E36.C7C513A3@amc.uva.nl

* WinPOV render window problem (job000217)
  (Maximizing the render window during a trace will occasionally leave a
  partial line of the checkerboard background visible.)
  Reported in:
Mapping warp and render window bugs
http://news.povray.org/Xns9190F27EBFE9Bcsbhccse@204.213.191.226

* WinPOV: -GA causes winpov to clear the render window between frames
  (job000224)
  Reported in:
-GA causes winpov to clear between frames
http://news.povray.org/3c61aed7@news.povray.org

* Declared camera bug
  (A declared camera with normal statements causes POV-Ray to crash.)
  Reported in:
bug : declared camera with normal statement crashes
http://news.povray.org/3C41A226.7030703@skynet.be

* WinPOV problem (job000221)
  (Maximizing the POV-Ray window by double-clicking on the title is reported
  to cause an error prompt about text selection.)
  Reported in:
http://news.povray.org/3c3b7a3f@news.povray.org

* WinPOV problem (job000223)
  (WinPOV crashes in some situations when opening the ini dialog.)
  Reported in:
[win] ini dlg crash - stack overflow
http://news.povray.org/3c57985c$1@news.povray.org

* Array assignment crash (job000203)
  (It should overwrite the old array with the newly created, correct
  array, but crashes)
  Reported in:
http://news.povray.org/3bcc54ab$1@news.povray.org

* Macro parsing crash
  Reported in:
#macro crush
http://news.povray.org/3c2c78cf$1@news.povray.org

* Bicubic Patch bug
  (Problem with comma parsing)
  Reported in:
http://news.povray.org/3c65d8af@news.povray.org

* WinPOV window title problem (job000218)
  (Title switches back to "POV-Ray for Windows" after minimize and
  restore even though a file is open.)
  Reported in:
Small window title bug
http://news.povray.org/3ba92966$1@news.povray.org

* CPU time used printing problem
  (CPU time used in NT-derived OS's not reported in stream when render
  completes normally. Confirmed by users.)
  Reported in:
[win] "cpu time used" not works properly
http://news.povray.org/llj84uk2findr74u9jpge6dlteqf19c70o@4ax.com

* Alpha channel bug (job000210)
  (assumed_gamma affects the transparency of shadowed areas)
  Reported in:
Strange alpha channel bug
http://news.povray.org/3c1168c5$1@news.povray.org

* Photons bug (job000195)
  (In some cases photons cause abnormally colored caustics and circular
  black spots)
  Reported in:
another strange photon behavior
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16510f3e44067d3f9896ae@news.povray.org

* WinPOV problem (job000219)
  (Render window pops up when application minimised, after which the
  application doesn't open when clicked on the task bar. Might be a Windows
  problem instead of a WinPOV problem.)
  Reported in:
Render Window Bug
http://news.povray.org/3bde157e@news.povray.org
  This report might be the same problem:
Povray main window disappears during rendering
http://news.povray.org/3c1350f4@news.povray.org

* POV for Linux crashes at photon sorting stage (job000222)
  (Confirmed only in the Linux version.)
  Reported in:
Beta10-Linux Segmentation Fault
http://news.povray.org/3C4D93F1.2000005@gmx.de
Fatal error.
http://news.povray.org/3bb5d946$1@news.povray.org

* Radiosity bug (job000215)
  (Rendering slows down when repeatedly started and stopped during radiosity
  calculations.)
  Reported in:
Slow render time after several runs
http://news.povray.org/3bd40c6d$1@news.povray.org
  (A possibly related report:
radiosity problem
http://news.povray.org/3c49968f@news.povray.org)

* Photons bug (job000204)
  (Image brightness problems in some cases.)
  Reported in:
Photon Problems
http://news.povray.org/3bc4d0a9$1@news.povray.org

* Function namespace problem
  (Declared function names can't be used as macro parameter names. Might
  not be possible to be fixed with the current parser. This is being
  investigated.)
  Reported in:
function declaration and namespace
http://news.povray.org/l2ji3uc2k9su99o2gct3n2thgqoq7f4pd5@4ax.com

* Functions in arrays problem
  (Using the function at the index 0 of an array causes an error/crash.)
  Reported in:
Still a first function initialisation error?
http://news.povray.org/3C612786.9000004@reading.ac.uk

* dispersion_samples affects photon brightness (job000193)
  (higher dispersion_samples also gives brighter refractive photons)
  Reported in:
Bug: dispersion_samples affects photon brightness
http://news.povray.org/MPG.1631c5fca936293298969e@news.povray.org

* "povray --help" causes an infinite loop in the unix version
  (Confirmed by users.)
  Reported in:
Linux: --help causes loop
http://news.povray.org/3c84e479@news.povray.org

* Function redefinition bug
  (Parser fails to trap some attempts to illegally redefined functions)
  Reported in:
can't redefine identifier
http://news.povray.org/tis83ugh1kcc22h5o6is9qpkv61pjgunc0@4ax.com

* Shadow problem with merge and no_image (job000198)
  (Setting no_image to an object in a merge causes that object to stop
  casting shadows)
  Reported in:
no_image, merge and shadows
http://news.povray.org/vqfd0ucm5276q9j8sdh34afjliapc1kj0n@4ax.com

* image_map transparency bug (job000211)
  (Objects with transparent image_maps have "non-transparent" shadows)
  Reported in:
Re: problem with transparent image_maps
http://news.povray.org/eGSwuBAritK8EwLH@econym.demon.co.uk

* Problem with function parsing
  (Confirmed by users)
  Reported in:
crash with "recursion" in functions
http://news.povray.org/uoj68uk5m391emvphovqfbg5vl0en7h2q6@4ax.com

* Functions can't be #undef'd
  (Confirmed by users)
  Reported in:
#undef function parsing error
http://news.povray.org/3ca0f412@news.povray.org

* Spline array problems
  (Trying to initialize or copy an array with spline identifiers causes a
   "Cannot copy identifier" message.)
  Reported in:
cannot copy array with spline
http://news.povray.org/tp5p8uoemqon1um6i4j75nc09ho61364su@4ax.com

* Powers of 0 in functions do not work correctly
  (Confirmed by users.)
  Reported in:
Buggy power operator in functions
http://news.povray.org/3C847750.BE9AD3A5@hotmail.com

* Math operator bug (job000179)
  (Some operators causing a crash in some cases. Confirmed only in
  Windows 2000; no confirmation in other systems.)
  Reported in:
crash inside two #while
http://news.povray.org/3c3f1f29$1@news.povray.org

* Crash with parametric object
  (Confirmed by users)
  Reported in:
crash with parametric object
http://news.povray.org/cu31auko3a0g3gnqgjb5t8uog4tj8id65q@4ax.com

* Photon bug (job000213)
  (A combination of photons, union, ior and lathe causes the intel compile
  to crash.)
  Reported in:
crash with photons, union, ior, lathe
http://news.povray.org/vfra4u0ndv4rf951196881cpt842an4906@4ax.com

* Crash with empty scene
  (Not properly confirmed. Most people report no problems.)
  Reported in:
Crash with no objects in scene
http://news.povray.org/3bd985b0@news.povray.org
POV-Crash on empty scenes
http://news.povray.org/3C19B9EA.D2E16FBC@gmx.de

* Macro bug (job000146)
  (POV can dereference a deallocated pointer if you return a local from a
  macro. Causes POV to crash.)
  Reported in:
"Known Bug" for Rune
http://news.povray.org/3BB4ED11.8EC69CEC@hotmail.com
strings operations crash with both compiles
http://news.povray.org/e3piut8anmf4cli4pnfmstadgc3nleqvb2@4ax.com

* Slowdown using +a +am1 +ua (job000191)
  (Using +ua and antialiasing with method 1 causes abnormal slowdown.
   Seems to happen only when using media.)

* POV-Ray crashes with some very long function definitions
  (POV doesn't check when the max VM code is exceeded.)
  Reported in:
long function with crash
http://news.povray.org/8pe56usuudisacgrocav0l0ovqvetsno83@4ax.com

* max_trace_level affects radiosity recursion_limit
  (This is a design decision and the possibility of a change is being studied.)
  Reported in:
max_trace_level affects radiosity recursion_limit
http://news.povray.org/3BE40295.6C3D54DE@engineer.com
Re: known bugs 28 Jan 2002
http://news.povray.org/Xns91A7BA6876851CQ@204.213.191.226

* Camera problems (job000196)
  (Heavy changes to camera behaviour are being developed which should get
  rid of all previous problems and make it more consistent.)
  A related bug report:
panoramic projection bug?
http://news.povray.org/avnfut8fof5ualgf8hnrtpl1knlg8828sp@4ax.com

* Splines
  (Splines are still being developed and constantly changing.)
  A related report:
splines - documentation and reality
http://news.povray.org/m7fq3u41ctia9e6i3tbnlstn6ek739vpke@4ax.com

* HF_* macros in std includes problems
  Reported in:
[std include] hf_* macros doubts
http://news.povray.org/1dtd4ug8htn1ns9md3vp9i1mbcq5qf10sb@4ax.com

* Color dot operators as macro parameters bug (job000201)
  (Eg. Color.red doesn't work as a macro parameter)
  Reported in:
color dot operators
http://news.povray.org/ofpr1ug9r6q3cak417pmj72bck6ufmgbtg@4ax.com