POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Q:maximum amount of control points Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Q:maximum amount of control points (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Gleb
Subject: Q:maximum amount of control points
Date: 31 Mar 2002 09:05:04
Message: <3ca71790$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a limit for maximum amount of control points in natural spline?

Gleb

Post a reply to this message

From: Felix Wiemann
Subject: Re: Q:maximum amount of control points
Date: 31 Mar 2002 09:52:00
Message: <kd478a.g81.ln@linux.local>
You're Off Topic.
Please ask your question in povray.general.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Mar 2002 09:53:05
Message: <3ca722d1$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ca71790$1@news.povray.org> , "Gleb" <gk1### [at] sotonacuk> wrote:

> Is there a limit for maximum amount of control points in natural spline?

Yes, the amount of free memory.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Mark Wagner
Date: 1 Apr 2002 00:20:05
Message: <3ca7ee05@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote in message <3ca722d1$1@news.povray.org>...
>In article <3ca71790$1@news.povray.org> , "Gleb" <gk1### [at] sotonacuk> wrote:
>
>> Is there a limit for maximum amount of control points in natural spline?
>
>Yes, the amount of free memory.

Not quite.  Strictly speaking, it's the amount of free memory, or the
largest number that can be stored in a long integer, whichever comes first.
(or in practical terms, the amount of free memory).

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message

> Not quite.  Strictly speaking, it's the amount of free memory, or the
> largest number that can be stored in a long integer, whichever comes
first.
> (or in practical terms, the amount of free memory).

Thank you, Mark, this is what I wanted to know.
I'm also curious how stable is the current natural splines implementation,
when handling huge amount of control points, because it seems that there
are some matrix calculations involved, which possibly can be unstable
above some limit. Is it correct?

Gleb

Post a reply to this message

>> Not quite.  Strictly speaking, it's the amount of free memory, or the
>> largest number that can be stored in a long integer, whichever comes
> first.
>> (or in practical terms, the amount of free memory).

> Thank you, Mark, this is what I wanted to know.

  You will never reach the largest number limit in your PC (unless you have
more than 4 gigabytes of memory), so it really is just the amount of free
memory that is the limit.

> I'm also curious how stable is the current natural splines implementation,
> when handling huge amount of control points, because it seems that there
> are some matrix calculations involved, which possibly can be unstable
> above some limit. Is it correct?

  What do you mean by stability?
  I don't understand how the implementation can become unstable for a bigger
number of control points.