POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Where did "Rendering frame X of Y" go? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Where did "Rendering frame X of Y" go? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Rune
Subject: Where did "Rendering frame X of Y" go?
Date: 9 Mar 2002 08:46:42
Message: <3c8a1242@news.povray.org>
Is it just me, or does beta 12 not write in the stream which frame of an
animation is being rendered?

Beta 12, Win 98.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)

From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Where did "Rendering frame X of Y" go?
Date: 9 Mar 2002 09:05:06
Message: <3C8A16B0.C884E774@gmx.de>
I can confirm this, I'm missing it as well.

--
Tim Nikias

From: andrel linnenbank
Date: 9 Mar 2002 15:18:17
Message: <3C8A6D89.46B6D896@amc.uva.nl>
Me too, it does appear briefly in the status
bar. When in the middle of a render you just have to
wait till the current frame is finished and not
blink at that moment, otherwise you have another
frame to wait :)
Or you just look in the directory the output is
going to, to see which frame is currently rendering.

Having it in the message window is more convenient.

	Andrel

Tim Nikias wrote:

> I can confirm this, I'm missing it as well.
>
> Rune wrote:
>
> > Is it just me, or does beta 12 not write in the stream which frame of an
> > animation is being rendered?
> >
> > Beta 12, Win 98.
> >
> > Rune
> > --
> > 3D images and anims, include files, tutorials and more:
> > Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)
> > POV-Ray Users:   http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
> > POV-Ray Webring: http://webring.povray.co.uk
>
> --
> Tim Nikias
> Homepage: http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights/index.html

Post a reply to this message

> When in the middle of a render you just have to
> wait till the current frame is finished and not
> blink at that moment, otherwise you have another
> frame to wait :)
> Or you just look in the directory the output is
> going to, to see which frame is currently rendering.

Those things are not useful when you are debugging a scene and need to know
for which frame some info was written in the debug stream.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)

> Is it just me, or does beta 12 not write in the stream which frame of
> an animation is being rendered?

3.1g (Win95) didn't report this info until after the frame finished
rendering, as if someone picked the wrong place to print the carriage
return.

--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

> 3.1g (Win95) didn't report this info until after
> the frame finished rendering, as if someone picked
> the wrong place to print the carriage return.

Err, this was fixed in POV-Ray 3.5 a long time ago.

The problem at hand is that in beta 12 the info has completely disappeared.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)

> > When in the middle of a render you just have to
> > wait till the current frame is finished and not
> > blink at that moment, otherwise you have another
> > frame to wait :)
> > Or you just look in the directory the output is
> > going to, to see which frame is currently rendering.
>
> Those things are not useful when you are debugging a scene and need to know
> for which frame some info was written in the debug stream.

I know. It is just that yesterday I spend too many minutes looking
at the status bar in the middle of generating a small animation and
estimating if it would finish before I had to leave.
I blinked once and was distracted another time. Later I
realized that I could find what I needed in the filesystem.
You are right that it is not helpfull during debugging.

From: John VanSickle
Date: 10 Mar 2002 07:28:42
Message: <3C8B532F.23C097FB@topsurf.com>
Rune wrote:

> "John VanSickle" wrote:
> > 3.1g (Win95) didn't report this info until after
> > the frame finished rendering, as if someone picked
> > the wrong place to print the carriage return.
>
> Err, this was fixed in POV-Ray 3.5 a long time ago.
>
> The problem at hand is that in beta 12 the info has completely
> disappeared.

I'm rendering my next IRTC entry right now, and this appears to be
the case.  I worked around this in 3.1g by having the main .POV file
calculate and echo the frame number, and I still have that code in
my scripts.

Regards,
John
--