POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Animation subset problems in Windows betas 10&11. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Animation subset problems in Windows betas 10&11. (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Liam Davis-Mead
Subject: Animation subset problems in Windows betas 10&11.
Date: 12 Feb 2002 22:24:31
Message: <3c69dc6f@news.povray.org>
Bug (maybe) #1:
When rendering animation subsets, the scene language constants
"initial_frame" and "final_frame" don't evaluate to their .ini file
counterparts...they evaluate to "subset_start_frame" and "subset_end_frame,"
respectively.  I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug, but I'd at least
classify it as a discrepency in the documentation, as it's not what I
expected.

Bug #2:
Float values for "subset_start_frame" and "subset_end_frame" don't work.  If
I specify to render from ".25" to ".5," I get an error message about
encountering a float when an integer was expected.  If I specify to render
from "0.25" to "0.5," I only get the 0th frame of my animation (it appears
to truncate the percentage at the decimal point).  Again, the documentation
led me to expect behaviour other than this.

Apparently these are new constants since 3.1g, since it doesn't like them.

I verified Winmegapov 0.7 exhibits Bug #1, but NOT Bug #2.  When float
values are used, Bug #1 occurs with scaled frame numbers (e.g. specify
final_frame=240 and subset_end_frame=0.5 in the .ini file, and final_frame
evaluates to 120 in the scene).

I MUCH prefer the behaviour described in the documentation, as it allows me
to declare my intended FPS in my .ini file, and declare the wall time in the
scene file as ((final_frame-initial_frame)*clock)/FPS, and have the value be
correct even if I render a subset of the frames.

Boring details:  Winpov 3.5b10 & Winpov 3.5b11, WinXP Pro, Intel PIII 1GHz
x2, 896MB RAM.

Post a reply to this message