POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : highlights vs. shadowless Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  highlights vs. shadowless (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Gergely Vandor
Subject: highlights vs. shadowless
Date: 7 Jan 2002 15:53:52
Message: <3c3a0ae0@news.povray.org>
The shadowless keyword turns off highlights for the light source. I know
this has been covered before, but it would be great if (a) users had an
option to turn them back on or (b) at least the docs gave some explanation
(I believe they don't).

---
Cheers,

Gergely

Post a reply to this message

> The shadowless keyword turns off highlights for the light source. I know
> this has been covered before, but it would be great if (a) users had an
> option to turn them back on

A very obvious feature request.  The time for feature requests is over, this
is a beta not an alpha test.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > The shadowless keyword turns off highlights for the light source. I know
> > this has been covered before, but it would be great if (a) users had an
> > option to turn them back on
>
> A very obvious feature request.  The time for feature requests is over,
this
> is a beta not an alpha test.

Is it still possible to add a few words of explanation to the docs?

Gergely

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Jan 2002 16:17:11
Message: <3j3k3u8rcprj5sd6rrpboqp7d83vppab0h@4ax.com>
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:54:36 +0100, "Gergely Vandor"
<ger### [at] vandordatanethu> wrote:

>The shadowless keyword turns off highlights for the light source. I know
>this has been covered before, but it would be great if (a) users had an
>option to turn them back on or (b) at least the docs gave some explanation
>(I believe they don't).

They don't, but I'll give you a simple explanation. Shadowless lights
were designed to be used as fill lights in times where radiosity was
still a dream. They are even called 'fill lights' (or something
similar, I'll have to recheck) in the source code. As such, they were
never supposed to cause highlights.

There are some hacks you can try, simple and more complex, but at this
stage it's too late to change the feature set. Sorry to say that.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 7 Jan 2002 16:26:40
Message: <3c3a1290@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:54:36 +0100, "Gergely Vandor"
> <ger### [at] vandordatanethu> wrote:
>
> >The shadowless keyword turns off highlights for the light source. I know
> >this has been covered before, but it would be great if (a) users had an
> >option to turn them back on or (b) at least the docs gave some
explanation
> >(I believe they don't).
>
> They don't, but I'll give you a simple explanation. Shadowless lights

Thanks but I do understand this, my problem is that it is not in the docs,
users have to search the newsgroups for the explanation like I did.

Gergely

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Jan 2002 16:32:31
Message: <aq4k3ucsoime3ibm2479hrjnracjn2aorr@4ax.com>
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 22:27:24 +0100, "Gergely Vandor"
<ger### [at] vandordatanethu> wrote:

>Thanks but I do understand this, my problem is that it is not in the docs,
>users have to search the newsgroups for the explanation like I did.

I'll inform the docs coordinator. Thanks for your input.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

From: Tony[B]
Date: 7 Jan 2002 23:43:18
Message: <3c3a78e6@news.povray.org>
Use light_group if you want highlights but no shadows.

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 8 Jan 2002 06:43:09
Message: <Xns9190819BDE2E4seed7@povray.org>