POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Continue problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Continue problem (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Patrick Dugan
Subject: Continue problem
Date: 3 Jan 2002 13:31:50
Message: <3c34a396$1@news.povray.org>
I posted this before in beta test but now have more data

I'm using Windows XP and creating a large BMP file.

The problem regards the continue function.  I am rendering a large (10240 x
7680) image using the switches -D for the render.  I let the render run
all night and it creates about 600 lines.  I stop the render, reboot the
computer (the next morning) and then start (continue with -D +c)
the render again assuming it will continue where it left off.  Instead the
render window shows it starting at 1 again (out of 7679) despite the fact
that it had completed 600 lines previously.  I examined the BMP and the 600
lines are there but povray insists on starting over at the top.

Why would it do that when I have the +c switch specifed?

I have tested the same thing with a PNG and TGA formats and those continue
normally.  For the time being I am sticking with those other formats.

Is there something that is being misread in the large BMP that would cause
it to not start where it left off?  Not every scene causes this problem only
certain scenes I have made.  Once it gets "stuck" and unable to continue
(after several attempts) I tried using a different format for output ansd
that solved the issue.

Post a reply to this message

"Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] usnetcomcorpcom> wrote in message
> I posted this before in beta test but now have more data
>
> I'm using Windows XP and creating a large BMP file.
>
> The problem regards the continue function.  I am rendering a large (10240
> 7680) image using the switches -D for the render.  I let the render run
> all night and it creates about 600 lines.  I stop the render, reboot the
> computer (the next morning) and then start (continue with -D +c)
> the render again assuming it will continue where it left off.  Instead the
> render window shows it starting at 1 again (out of 7679) despite the fact
> that it had completed 600 lines previously.  I examined the BMP and the
600
> lines are there but povray insists on starting over at the top.
>
> Why would it do that when I have the +c switch specifed?
>
> I have tested the same thing with a PNG and TGA formats and those continue
> normally.  For the time being I am sticking with those other formats.
>
> Is there something that is being misread in the large BMP that would cause
> it to not start where it left off?  Not every scene causes this problem
only
> certain scenes I have made.  Once it gets "stuck" and unable to continue
> (after several attempts) I tried using a different format for output ansd
> that solved the issue.

Post a reply to this message