POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Mike Williams
Subject: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9)
Date: 23 Dec 2001 19:17:58
Message: <38HawAAwLnJ8EwV+@econym.demon.co.uk>
It's quite possible that I've missed some of the fixes that went in in
beta 9, since the change log contained several items that didn't
describe the symptoms that they were fixing.

Blob problem (job000189)
and Blob : Toward a solution
(blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very small)
http://news.povray.org/3b99052c@news.povray.org
http://news.povray.org/3B991C90.D715B7A3@free.fr

Superellipsoid epsilon to big ? (job000190)
(strange dark patches occur on a superellipsoid when the east-west-
exponent is set very small)
http://news.povray.org/3b992a81@news.povray.org

Additional (?) blob bug
(blob component disappears when radius is 317 or greater)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9115B92CF7D8ACQ@204.213.191.226
(also reported as: Blob rendering error (job000136))
http://news.povray.org/Xns91203DC7F3CCQ@204.213.191.226

Small window title bug
(Title switches back to "POV-Ray for Windows" after minimize or
restore.)
http://news.povray.org/3ba92966$1@news.povray.org

sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash! (job000179 and job000180)
http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org

Spline bug (job000182)
(The spline path is all wrong when certain time values are used.)
http://news.povray.org/3bb41dc8@news.povray.org

Strange spline problem (job000181)
(Changes from render to render. Control points are sometimes missing.)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9136AC2E64F60seed7@povray.org

Highlight bug (job000137)
(highlights are sometimes visible where they should be in shadow)
http://news.povray.org/3bb4cf08@news.povray.org

Macro bug (job000146)
(POV can dereference a deallocated pointer if you return a local from a
macro.)
http://news.povray.org/3BB4ED11.8EC69CEC@hotmail.com
(also reported as: strings operations crash with both compiles
http://news.povray.org/e3piut8anmf4cli4pnfmstadgc3nleqvb2@4ax.com)

Radiosity sampling, with fix method (job000177)
(radiosity sample counter is reset to the start every time, sampling
artefacts are produced)
http://news.povray.org/3BC5A13E.9C022BD6@reading.ac.uk

Slow rendering when using +ua and antialiasing method 1 (job000191)
(No details available)
http://news.povray.org/3bbf6347@news.povray.org

Delayed syntax checking (job000192)
(declare without the "#" can cause a much later line to fail to parse
Parser will ignore the first token following old-style declares without
a #.)
http://news.povray.org/AM3LOAABMO27EwFh@econym.demon.co.uk

[bug] orthographic camera bug?
(objects sometimes disappear when the orthographic camera is used)
http://news.povray.org/3bdca5eb@news.povray.org

Bug: dispersion_samples affects photon brightness (job000193)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.1631c5fca936293298969e@news.povray.org

Jpeg and memory problem during animations (job000194)
(It seems that some memory is not properly released between frames when
a jpeg file is used)
http://news.povray.org/3be2ef0d@news.povray.org

Bug with blobs and media
(possibly related to  blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very
small)
http://news.povray.org/3be5f0b2@news.povray.org

Another strange photon behavior (job000195)
(a: bright colored caustics. b: holes/circular black spots)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16510f3e44067d3f9896ae@news.povray.org

panoramic projection bug? (job000196)
(When "angle" keyword within camera statement appears after "panoramic"
keyword then looks like ignored.)
http://news.povray.org/avnfut8fof5ualgf8hnrtpl1knlg8828sp@4ax.com

Black outline in smooth meshes
(The outline of smooth meshes exhibit black dots or areas (which go away
with double_illuminate))
http://news.povray.org/3bf6794e$1@news.povray.org

User_Abort_Command
(User_Abort_Command does not seem to work at all)
http://news.povray.org/Xns913D9F7268736seed7@povray.org

First report from bugreports
http://news.povray.org/u12outsm2kso3k5ef4lp26ogm5cvsm46ge@4ax.com

Re: trivial question on topic
(Poly Object Bug: heart has a dark line of artifacts)
http://news.povray.org/3BEBEB4C.CA854309@pacbell.net

Camera is off by half a pixel
http://news.povray.org/3bccc696@news.povray.org

Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows
(rendering without light buffers (-UL) puts the shadows back)
http://news.povray.org/3bfd4d63@news.povray.org

Save during render
(is very slow)
http://news.povray.org/jhaiduce@engin.umich.edu

double_illuminate only works with direct lighting
http://news.povray.org/3BF6F1FE.D21B0C6@oreka.com

no_image, merge and shadows
(setting no_image to an object in a merge causes that object to stop
casting shadows)
http://news.povray.org/vqfd0ucm5276q9j8sdh34afjliapc1kj0n@4ax.com

Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
(isosurfaces with "evaluate" are now very slow)
http://news.povray.org/3bdf24b3$1@news.povray.org

Isosurface : 2 bugs
(int() causes crash)
http://news.povray.org/3c082dbe@news.povray.org

IsoCacti.pov
(displays 754 evaluate warnings, most with incorrect values)
http://news.povray.org/3c08c36c$1@news.povray.org

Re: triangle texture interpolation
(the second texture is on the first point and the third texture is used
on the second and third points)
http://news.povray.org/3C0A8288.DDA0905B@free.fr

Blob component textures transformed twize
http://news.povray.org/3bf70645@news.povray.org

Re: Workaround for function problems in beta 8 without scene file
modification
(using Include_Header in povray.ini crashes in some circumstances)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9170BB3381723CoridonHenshaw@204.213.191.226

Crash with no objects in scene
http://news.povray.org/3bd985b0@news.povray.org
(also reported as http://news.povray.org/3C19B9EA.D2E16FBC@gmx.de

bug in sphere_sweep for removing parts of an object
(discontinuous normals on inverse of sphere_sweep)
http://news.povray.org/3C1A5D47.EA38F6E5@amc.uva.nl

color dot operators
((Color.red) doesn't work as a function parameter)
http://news.povray.org/ofpr1ug9r6q3cak417pmj72bck6ufmgbtg@4ax.com

Render Window Bug
(Render window pops up when application minimised, after which the
application doesn't open when clicked on the task bar.)
http://news.povray.org/3bde157e@news.povray.org

Povray main window disappears during rendering
(Possibly the same as the above)
http://news.povray.org/3c1350f4@news.povray.org

Bicubic patch triangles disappear
(When the triangles are fairly small)
http://news.povray.org/3c23b26c@news.povray.org

Strange alpha channel bug
http://news.povray.org/3c1168c5$1@news.povray.org

        BUGS FIXED IN BETA 9

image_pattern
(image_pattern produces brightness in range 76-255 instead of 0-255)
http://news.povray.org/3c09ff34@news.povray.org

o_shapes.pov (\scenes\portfolio) Beta 7 and 8
(Circle_Text and Supertorus examples have become incorrect)
http://news.povray.org/3C0A386B.7D3751C@compuserve.com

Bug with intersection stack (with crash)(job000175)
http://news.povray.org/5f13rtc0v0rso4fk7lut5e0980qa9g756b@4ax.com

Alpha problems: text is not antialiased (job000187)
(black objects are not antialiased on Unix and Windows versions, alpha
is not correctly output on Mac)
http://news.povray.org/3bea5a84$1@news.povray.org

hf_gray_16 + png creates wrong output image (job000173)
(global_settings {hf_gray_16} causes "Cannot open output file")
http://news.povray.org/3BA3BAE6.4671C0BB@free.fr

Slow render time after several runs
http://news.povray.org/3bd40c6d$1@news.povray.org

problem with normals/functions: crash!
(if an isosurface is the first function parsed, then things go horribly
wrong)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16724448f4beb4ad9896c3@news.povray.org

This parametric is completely different under beta 8
http://news.povray.org/TzDjzFAOuIC8EwZE@econym.demon.co.uk

rand.inc VRand_In_Sphere flaw
(VRand_In_Sphere doesn't give uniform distribution)
http://news.povray.org/3bc64790$1@news.povray.org

2 Win GUI bugs + nitpick
(Double-clicking a file in explorer that file isn't opened in the
instance that is already running)
http://news.povray.org/3C073446.3020104@NOzSiPpA.Mto
(also reported as: Problems starting Beta8 from Command Line)
http://news.povray.org/3c0abb67@news.povray.org

Keep Single Instance (always does, no matter setting)
http://news.povray.org/3c0b0881$1@news.povray.org

        FEATURE REQUESTS IMPLEMENTED IN BETA 9

Focal blur aperture has no effect with camera types other than the
persective one
http://news.povray.org/3bceb66d@news.povray.org

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash! (job000179 and job000180)
> http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org

This does not crash in beta9. At least not with the MSVC compile.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>> sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash! (job000179 and job000180)
>> http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org
>
> This does not crash in beta9. At least not with the MSVC compile.

It is a precision issue:  Only if there are certain input and output values
the power function will raise a signal which is not caught by POV-Ray.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> Keep Single Instance (always does, no matter setting)
> http://news.povray.org/3c0b0881$1@news.povray.org

No, this still doesn't work in my beta 9.
It keeps a single instance, always.

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

>> Keep Single Instance (always does, no matter setting)
>> http://news.povray.org/3c0b0881$1@news.povray.org
>
>No, this still doesn't work in my beta 9.
>It keeps a single instance, always.

For me it works only if I activate "Keep Single Instance" and deactivate it
again. After that I can start more than one instance.

Marc-Hendrik

PII 450, 128 MB, Win98, WinPov 3.5 beta 9

Post a reply to this message