POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Slowdown after starting and stopping during pre-trace Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Slowdown after starting and stopping during pre-trace (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Ari-Matti Leppanen
Subject: Slowdown after starting and stopping during pre-trace
Date: 12 Dec 2001 07:38:50
Message: <3c174fda$1@news.povray.org>
I wrote about this in October and the post got one confirmation, but I've
never seen this on any of the bug lists. But then again I could be
illiterate or just imagining things..

Try doing the following:

1. Start POV-Ray and render the scene below.
2. Write down the render time.
3. Start and stop the scene in pre-trace with alt+g or the toolbar buttons.
Do this a few times.
4. Let POV-Ray render the whole scene.

The trace time increases after a few starts and stops. This has happened
with
most of the betas. With MegaPov 0.7 the same scene works fine. You can get
rid of the problem (or the slowdown is minimal) by lowering the
max_trace_level or by commenting out the reflection or interior. Undo
changes and the trace goes on like granny in a snowdrift.

Ari-Matti

Using: Athlon, 512Mb, POV3.5b8 both compiles, WinXP

PS. Remember to re-start Pov before any final traces to ensure normal trace
times.

//----scene starts----
#version 3.5;
// +h320 +w240

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  max_trace_level 30
   #default {finish {ambient 0}}
   radiosity {}
}

camera {
  right x*image_width/image_height
  location  <-0.4,5.5,-5>
  look_at   <-0.4,1.5, 0>
}

light_source { <0,0,0> color rgb 1.3 translate <500,300,-150>}

plane {
  y, -0.01
  texture {
    pigment { color rgb <1.0, 1.0, 1.0> }