POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problems starting Beta8 from Command Line Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Problems starting Beta8 from Command Line (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Stephen Dartnall
Subject: Problems starting Beta8 from Command Line
Date: 2 Dec 2001 18:38:15
Message: <3c0abb67@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I've noticed something strange when starting POV-Ray v3.5 (beta.8.icl.win32)
from the command line.
A simple command such as:
>pvengine.exe F:\test.ini
should start POV-Ray and begin rendering the test.ini file.
If POV-Ray is NOT running this does as expected, and renders the file.
However if is ALREADY running (but not rendering) then it doesn't start
rendering the file as it should (although it does become the active window).
In prior versions (v3.1 and v3.5.beta.1-7)  the file would be rendered
regardless of whether POV-Ray was already running or not.

The problem also occurs when starting POV-Ray using a Visual Basic Shell()
command. (I specifically noticed it when experimenting with my 'Forester'
program).

Cheers - and thanks for a fantastic program!

Stephen
PC: Pentium III 500MHz 384Mb SDRAM Win98SE

Forester Website: www.dartnall.co.uk

Post a reply to this message

From: Ari-Matti Leppanen
Subject: Re: Problems starting Beta8 from Command Line
Date: 3 Dec 2001 04:25:40
Message: <3c0b4514$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen Dartnall" <ste### [at] dartnallcouk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've noticed something strange when starting POV-Ray v3.5
(beta.8.icl.win32)
> from the command line.
> A simple command such as:
> >pvengine.exe F:\test.ini
> should start POV-Ray and begin rendering the test.ini file.

Same as:

"Pabs" <NOp### [at] NOzSiPpAMto> wrote in message
news:3C0### [at] NOzSiPpAMto...
> 1. The keep single instance option works, but, according to the docs,
> when double-clicking a file in explorer that file should be opened in
> the instance that is already running. currently the running instance is
> just brought into the foreground. This has been around since 3.1 & I
> think 3.0.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 3 Dec 2001 13:03:25
Message: <qQadrHArX7C8EwM5@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Stephen Dartnall who wrote:
>Hi,
>I've noticed something strange when starting POV-Ray v3.5 (beta.8.icl.win32)
>from the command line.
>A simple command such as:
>>pvengine.exe F:\test.ini
>should start POV-Ray and begin rendering the test.ini file.
>If POV-Ray is NOT running this does as expected, and renders the file.
>However if is ALREADY running (but not rendering) then it doesn't start
>rendering the file as it should (although it does become the active window).
>In prior versions (v3.1 and v3.5.beta.1-7)  the file would be rendered
>regardless of whether POV-Ray was already running or not.
>
>The problem also occurs when starting POV-Ray using a Visual Basic Shell()
>command. (I specifically noticed it when experimenting with my 'Forester'
>program).

It sounds like it might possibly be related to one of the points raised
in

2 Win GUI bugs + nitpick
http://news.povray.org/3C073446.3020104@NOzSiPpA.Mto

--