POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : image_map as function in isosurface might crash Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  image_map as function in isosurface might crash (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: bob h
Subject: image_map as function in isosurface might crash
Date: 30 Nov 2001 22:51:18
Message: <3c0853b6@news.povray.org>
3.5.beta.8.icl.win32, WinXP, P3, 800MHz, 512 MB SDRAM

Okay, since beta 8 has *unofficially* hit the streets....   :-|

As my subject line says image_maps can crash the beta 8, and if not crashing
completely can cause a Render Error.

Apparently Jide's post about Landscape.pov is related to that, "Problem in
Evaluate_TPat" is one of the possible errors.  "Warp type (number here) not
yet implemented is another".

You have been warned  :-)

Following is minimum needed to show what happens:

// begin iso + image_map function crash test
#declare F_im=function {
        pigment {image_map {
                png "testiso.png"  // any? TGA, PNG, BMP
        }rotate 90*x}
}

isosurface {
        function {y-F_im(x,y,z).gray*.5}
        contained_by {box {0,1}}
 // evaluate 1,10,0.1  // less likely to cause problem?
 // max_gradient        // more likely?
 texture {pigment {rgb 1}}
  translate <-.5,0,-.5> scale <1250,40,1250> rotate 180*y translate -40*y
}
// end iso crash test

Strange thing is that POV-generated hf_gray_16 tga or png files used as
input seem less likely to crash the program.  Others made from PSP for
example can cause the program to exit.
Also, bmp (sys) image_maps might be more tolerant (less "crash prone" too
but I'm uncertain of that.

Post a reply to this message

>3.5.beta.8.icl.win32, WinXP, P3, 800MHz, 512 MB SDRAM
>
>Okay, since beta 8 has *unofficially* hit the streets....   :-|
>
>As my subject line says image_maps can crash the beta 8, and if not crashing
>completely can cause a Render Error.
>
>Apparently Jide's post about Landscape.pov is related to that, "Problem in
>Evaluate_TPat" is one of the possible errors.  "Warp type (number here) not
>yet implemented is another".

This appears to be an instance of "if an isosurface is the first
function parsed, then things go horribly wrong".

A workround is to add "#declare foo=function{0}" at the top of the
scene.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> Apparently Jide's post about Landscape.pov is related to that, "Problem in
> Evaluate_TPat" is one of the possible errors.  "Warp type (number here) not
> yet implemented is another".

But that scene does not use an image_map in the isosurface function so the
bug is even more mysterious.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>