POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Doc Isosurface(9.1.2.8) and bilinear function Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Doc Isosurface(9.1.2.8) and bilinear function (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: R  Suzuki
Subject: Doc Isosurface(9.1.2.8) and bilinear function
Date: 5 Nov 2001 04:16:58
Message: <3be6590a$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the effort of making the "isosurface" documents.
I have a comment on the last paragraph of 9.1.2.8.

>Note that there are certain patological[pathological?] functions
>where no max_gradient [or accuracy] will help, no matter how big.
>These are usually functions with many sharp angles (ie. not
>differentiable), discontinuities or similar "ill-behaving"
>properties. With those you just have to find a solution which gives
>the best quality/speed tradeoff. Isosurfaces work best with
>functions which give smooth surfaces.

I made the isosurface code not only for smooth surfaces but also
for surfaces with sharp edges or rough surfaces.
It's possible to render sharp edge surfaces if we use appropriate
(differentiable) functions and (accuracy and max_gradient) parameters.
I will post an example in p.b.i.

Thus, the second sentence of above paragraph should be like this "These
functions usually have discontinuities (i.e. not differentiable)."

BTW, has someone in POV-Team checked the 'bilinear' function in image.c?
(See http://news.povray.org/3bdf97e6@news.povray.org )
Maybe the interpolation bug was not so important for the previous
version but it is severe for isosurfaces with 'image_map' because it
generates discontinuities.

R. Suzuki

Post a reply to this message