POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [TIF] probably nothing, but.... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:51 EDT (-0400)
  [TIF] probably nothing, but.... (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Zen Psycho
Subject: [TIF] probably nothing, but....
Date: 30 Oct 2001 15:57:43
Message: <3bdf22e0.23897472@news.povray.org>
Ok I just found the earlier threads aboout the tif's getting
mirrored.. so  I know what's going on t here. What I have to talk
about is various forms of compression that tif's use. When I first
attemtped a tif in porvray it was inadvertantly in lzw compression.
And it came out scrambled..

We'll, I can understand you not wanting to include lzw compression
(royalties) . But here's a suggestion to make the behavior seem more
consistant. When gif's are interlaced, usually povray stops with an
error saying it won't use interlaced gifs.   Perhaps that's what
povray should do when attempting to use a TIFF with features it
doesn't recognize, instead of leaving the user in the dark about it,
and possibly flooding the boards with bug reports about it.

Somewhere along the line when I tired a TIFF that used jpeg
compression, povray crashed. I have yet to reproduce the crash, but
I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

Povray v3.5 beta 7 intel build.  window98, athlon processor