POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Temporary directory? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Temporary directory? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
Subject: Temporary directory?
Date: 25 Oct 2001 09:47:12
Message: <3bd817e0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I was rendering a scene with a huge amount of photons and ran out of space
on my C: drive at the end of the photon shooting stage and POV-Ray couldn't
save the photons to a file. POV-Ray and the Windows swapfile are on drive D:
so I wounder why drive C: ran out of space?
The photon file was to be writen in the POV directory on D: and there was
also plenty of swap space there. Does POV-Ray use a temporary working
directory under Windows (eg. c:\Windows\Temp\)?  If it does, how can I
change the directory to D:? I couldn't find anything from the help files
about this.

Ari-Matti

WinMe, POV 3.5b6, Athlon, 512Mb

Post a reply to this message

> I was rendering a scene with a huge amount of photons and ran out of space
> on my C: drive at the end of the photon shooting stage and POV-Ray couldn't
> save the photons to a file. POV-Ray and the Windows swapfile are on drive D:
> so I wounder why drive C: ran out of space?
> The photon file was to be writen in the POV directory on D: and there was
> also plenty of swap space there. Does POV-Ray use a temporary working
> directory under Windows (eg. c:\Windows\Temp\)?  If it does, how can I
> change the directory to D:? I couldn't find anything from the help files
> about this.

I don't know if Povray uses the TEMP directory somehow, but anyway that's
a system issue, not something about Povray.  The TEMP/TMP environment
variable should be set to some place where there is enough free space.  No
idea how this is done in WinME though.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> I was rendering a scene with a huge amount of photons and ran out of space
> on my C: drive at the end of the photon shooting stage and POV-Ray couldn't
> save the photons to a file. POV-Ray and the Windows swapfile are on drive D:
> so I wounder why drive C: ran out of space?
> The photon file was to be writen in the POV directory on D: and there was
> also plenty of swap space there. Does POV-Ray use a temporary working
> directory under Windows (eg. c:\Windows\Temp\)?  If it does, how can I
> change the directory to D:? I couldn't find anything from the help files
> about this.

Well, where is your scene file?  On C or D?

    Thorsten

Date: 26 Oct 2001 12:26:17
Message: <3bd98ea9$1@news.povray.org>

> Well, where is your scene file?  On C or D?

On D. Everything Pov needs is on D. But think I know what's going on. While
looking for files created during rendering I noticed new .CPY files in
C:\_RESTORE\TMP. The files whre copies of open documents etc. These _RESTORE
directories are used by VxdMonitor and I suspect this is some kind of a
attempt to prevent data loss, not if but when WinMe crashes. So no need to
accuse POV-Ray, which is btw brilliant.

Ari-Matti