POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Docs] A bunch (some real, some nitpicking ;-) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  [Docs] A bunch (some real, some nitpicking ;-) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Subject: [Docs] A bunch (some real, some nitpicking ;-)
Date: 14 Oct 2001 13:37:38
Message: <3bc9cd62@news.povray.org>
I've been reading through the docs a lot lately and have found a bunch of little
things.  I've divided this up into two groups, things that really should be
changed, if only for consistency, and things that are stylistic and can be
ignored if you want.

Real problems, or slight improvements for consistency:

***Section 6.5.1:
There are fourteen different solid finite primitive shapes: blob, box, cone,
cylinder, height field, Julia fractal, lathe, prisms, sphere, spheresweep
                        Drop 's' for consistency --^

***Section 6.5.1.1
Hierarchy paragraph
By using the optional keyword hierarchy followed by an optional boolean ...
^^ Remove

... float value to turn it off or on.
                ^^ Change to 'will'
These two changes make the sentence much more readable

Sturm paragraph
... optional boolean float value to turn it off or on ...
                                         ^^ Remove

***Section 6.5.1.5:
Paragraph on resolution
... made from an 8 bit image ... made from a 16 bit image ...
                  ^ add '-'                    ^ add '-'
For consistency.

Paragraph on hierarchy
In order to speed up the intersection tests an one-level bounding ...
                              Change to 'a' ^^

***Section 6.5.1.6:
End of second paragraph
... solid shapes you get with a low, max_iteration value ...
                                  ^^^ Remove comma

Third paragraph
The keyword is followed by 4D vector and a ...
                           ^^ Change to '4-D' for consistency

The formatting on the vector multiplication rules should probably be cleaned
up.  As it appears now it is difficult to read.  It looks as if it should be
three equally spaced columns.

Last paragraph
This new POV-Ray implementation follows Fractint ...
     ^^^ remove - it's not new anymore ;-)

***Section 6.5.1.7:
End of second paragraph
... do this by your own if you want a closed curve.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^ Change to 'yourself' or 'on your own'
Unless of course this is a dialect thing.  If this is a common phrase in British
English, then it can stay.  It just feels awkward to me.

Mathematically the relationship (their location on the 2-D plane) between ...
              ^ add ','          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 'relative locations'
This makes it a little easier to understand.  The comma is a style thing.

Bezier spline paragraph
... point 3 and 4 on one segment and point 1 and 2 on the next ...
         ^ add 's'                        ^ add 's'

... must be the same as point one on the next segment.
                              ^^^ change to '1' for consistency

Segment count paragraph
The bezier spline requires 4 points per segment.

Change 'segment.' to:

    segment, creating n/4 segments.

This provides a bit more understanding.

***Section 6.5.1.13:
TEXT_OBECT:
    text
    {
        ttf "fontname.ttf" "String_of_Text" Thickness, <Offset>
        [OBJECT_MODIFIERS...]
    }

Where fontname.ttf or fontname.ttc is the name of the TrueType font file.

TEXT_OBECT should be TEXT_OBJECT.
fontname.ttc is not mentioned in the syntax description.  BTW, should ttc be
used or does it still just use TTF?

***Section 6.7.11.6:
a bumpy orange peal when scaled small
               ^^^^ -> peel

***Section 7.7.2:
f_hetero_mf:
Other functions of interest f_ridget_mf and f_ridge.
                          ^^^     ^^^
... interest are f_ridged_mf ...

f_ridged_mf:
In description of P0 fix accented E in fE- H.

******************************
Stylistic concerns:

***Section 6.5.1.1
... connect as if they were made of honey or something like that.
                         Change to 'something similar' ^^^^^^^^^

Item 1 under strength component
... no field was added --- you might ...
Change '---' either to a long dash (either em or en, — or –
respectively, I'm not sure which is proper, but either should work) or to '--'

Item 3 under strength component
What happens is that the surface around any nearby positive components ...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Remove

***Section 6.5.1.3
Paragraph on open
... closed by flat discs which are parallel to each other ...
                         ^^^^^ change to 'that'

***Section 6.5.1.4
Paragraph on open
... closed by flat discs which are parallel to each other ...
                         ^^^^^ change to 'that'

***Section 6.5.1.5
Paragraph on GIF files
In an image file like GIF that uses a color palette the color number is ...

Change to:
In an image file that uses a color palette, like GIF, the color number is ...

***Section 6.5.1.7
... lathe object which is centered at the origin.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Change to 'object, '

Spline description
This means that the curve that is drawn ...
           ^^^^ Remove

Quadratic spline paragraph
... are not sufficient to describe a quadratic curve the predecessor ...
                            Change to 'curve,' ^^^^^

Cubic spline paragraph
... because they also take the fourth point into account ...
                           ^^^ change to 'a' ?

Segment count paragraph
... determining the slope as explained above ...
                    ^^^^^ change to 'slope,'

***************

Hope this isn't too long or annoying ;)
Michael
--
#declare R=<8,4,.6>/3;#declare C=function{pattern{object{text{ttf"crystal.ttf"
"MDJ"1,0translate-R/4}}}}camera{location-z*30}box{-R,R pigment{rgbf 1}interior

Post a reply to this message

> fontname.ttc is not mentioned in the syntax description.  BTW,
> should ttc be used or does it still just use TTF?

Should still use ttf.

> Hope this isn't too long or annoying ;)

I'll make the changes, after a full investigation of the list.

Ingo