POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Too many nested refracting objects... but no refraction Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Too many nested refracting objects... but no refraction (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Slime
Subject: Too many nested refracting objects... but no refraction
Date: 11 Oct 2001 18:54:46
Message: <3bc62336$1@news.povray.org>
The following scene has a bunch of transparent spheres with media, but no
refraction, and it says "too many nested refracting objects" when it gets
about halfway through the image. Render it with the command line setting
"+AM2" at 320x240, and add "+sc0.259375 +sr0.491667 +ec0.281250 +er0.508333"
if you want to see the error ASAP when rendering.

//==============================
global_settings {max_trace_level 10000}

camera {
 location <0,0,-4>
 look_at 0
}

light_source {
 10000
 rgb 1
}

#include "rand.inc"

#declare smallspheremediadensity = 1;

#declare theobj = sphere {-x*1.2,.02 pigment {rgbt 1} interior {media
{emission smallspheremediadensity}} hollow}
#declare objnum = 0;
#declare numobjects = 10000;
#declare stream = seed(453);
 #while (objnum < numobjects)
  object {theobj translate VRand_In_Sphere(stream)}
  #declare objnum = objnum + 1;
 #end
//==========================

Either (a) the error shouldn't appear, and it's a bug, or (b) the error
should be changed to something like "too many nested transparent objects."

And while we're on the subject, what *is* the limit of refracting objects
allowed? I couldn't find it in the docs, although I vaguely remember reading
something about it a long time ago.

(BTW, you may soon see this scene again as an explanation for what I believe
may be a flaw in rand.inc...)

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]