POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Spline tension inconsistency Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Spline tension inconsistency (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Rune
Subject: Spline tension inconsistency
Date: 28 Sep 2001 02:50:49
Message: <3bb41dc9@news.povray.org>
In the code below I've compared a path made with the cubic spline function
with a cubic spline prism.

The cubic spline function use a lower tension than the cubic spline in
prisms. While this may not be a bug, it's a strange inconsistency. The
tension used in the prism has been used for years now, but the one used in
the spline function creates much smoother splines paths. I personally think
the best solution would be to let the user control the spline tension in the
spline function, and perhaps even also in the cubic splines in prisms.

camera {location 11*y look_at 0 orthographic translate <4,0,4.5>}
background {color rgb 1}
#default {finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0}}
#declare MySpline =
spline {
   cubic_spline
    0,<2,3>,
    1,<4,2>,
    2,<6,2>,
    3,<8,2>,
    4,<6,0>,
    5,<5,3>,
    6,<6,6>,
    7,<2,9>,
    8,<0,5>,
    9,<4,5>,
   10,<2,7>,
   11,<2,3>,
   12,<4,2>,
   13,<6,2>
}
union {
   #declare M = 20;
   #declare C = 1*M;
   #while (C<=12*M)
      #local F = C/M;
      sphere {MySpline(F), 0.05}
      #if (F=int(F))
         sphere {MySpline(F), 0.1 pigment {color red 1}}
      #end
      #declare C = C+1;
   #end
   pigment {color 0}