POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Photon dispersion and Radiosity conflict? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:32:26 EDT (-0400)
  Photon dispersion and Radiosity conflict? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Photon dispersion and Radiosity conflict?
Date: 5 Sep 2001 12:19:16
Message: <3b965084$1@news.povray.org>
Ver.: v3.5 beta 1
O/S: Win2000
Computer: P4 1.4GHz, 256M

I'm not sure how to explain this bug, I came across it by accident.

If I first run the following scene (with photons and dispersion) it renders
as expected with the photons creating a prism effect.  Now the tricky part,
run a different scene file with radiosity (e.g.. cornell.pov included with
the Beta install)
and then go back and try rendering the following scene again.  Now the
photons are not affected by the dispersion.  If you close and reopen 3.5 it
renders fine again.

-tgq

The scene (I've tried to make it as short as possible):

---start scene---

global_settings{photons{spacing 0.01 count 100000 autostop 0}}

camera{
  direction<0,0,1>
  up<0,1,0>
  right<4/3,0,0>
  location <0,7,-25>
  look_at  <0,7,0>
}

light_source{0 color <1,1,1>*3 translate <0,15,0>}

difference{
  box{<-16,-1,-16><16,16,16>}
  box{<-15,0,-17><15,13,2>}
  box{<-.05,12,2><.05,15,-.5>}
  texture{
    pigment{color <1,1,1>}
    finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.7 brilliance 0.4}
  }
}

difference{
  box{<-8,5,-10> <4,10,10>}
  plane{-y 0 rotate z*-75 translate<0,7,1>}
  material{
    texture{
      pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
      finish{conserve_energy  reflection {0 1 fresnel on}}
    }
    interior{ior 1.55  dispersion 1.1}
  }
  photons {target  refraction on  reflection on  collect off}
}

---end scene---

Post a reply to this message

I have been unable to duplicate this problem.
Win2k, AMD Athlon, 256MB

Can anyone else duplicate it?

-Nathan

"Trevor Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote...
> Ver.: v3.5 beta 1
> O/S: Win2000
> Computer: P4 1.4GHz, 256M
>
> I'm not sure how to explain this bug, I came across it by accident.
>
> If I first run the following scene (with photons and dispersion) it
renders
> as expected with the photons creating a prism effect.  Now the tricky
part,
> run a different scene file with radiosity (e.g.. cornell.pov included with
> the Beta install)
> and then go back and try rendering the following scene again.  Now the
> photons are not affected by the dispersion.  If you close and reopen 3.5
it
> renders fine again.
>
> -tgq
>
> The scene (I've tried to make it as short as possible):
>
> ---start scene---
>
> global_settings{photons{spacing 0.01 count 100000 autostop 0}}
>
> camera{
>   direction<0,0,1>
>   up<0,1,0>
>   right<4/3,0,0>
>   location <0,7,-25>
>   look_at  <0,7,0>
> }
>
> light_source{0 color <1,1,1>*3 translate <0,15,0>}
>
> difference{
>   box{<-16,-1,-16><16,16,16>}
>   box{<-15,0,-17><15,13,2>}
>   box{<-.05,12,2><.05,15,-.5>}
>   texture{
>     pigment{color <1,1,1>}
>     finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.7 brilliance 0.4}
>   }
> }
>
> difference{
>   box{<-8,5,-10> <4,10,10>}
>   plane{-y 0 rotate z*-75 translate<0,7,1>}
>   material{
>     texture{
>       pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,1>}
>       finish{conserve_energy  reflection {0 1 fresnel on}}
>     }
>     interior{ior 1.55  dispersion 1.1}
>   }
>   photons {target  refraction on  reflection on  collect off}
> }
>
> ---end scene---

Post a reply to this message

"Nathan Kopp" <nat### [at] koppcom> wrote in message
> I have been unable to duplicate this problem.
> Win2k, AMD Athlon, 256MB
>
> Can anyone else duplicate it?

Can't.  Renders as should.  WinME, PIII 800MHz, 512MB.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message