POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : first steps with the linux version Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  first steps with the linux version (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: first steps with the linux version
Date: 10 Jan 2002 07:20:02
Message: <3C3D86EC.6DCCE56E@gmx.de>
First of all thanks for the linux version, Mark.

Installation works fine here, i was just a bit astonished when i saw the
archive content was deleted after running the install script.

You seem to have used a newer code basis than the windows beta, the
isosurface syntax change seems already included.

In first test renders it also was quite a bit slower than the windows
version, do you plan to try the intel compiler on linux too?

Furthermore how about including the insert menu? I can write a script to
render the pictures automatically so they would not need to be included or
only in a smaller version.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> First of all thanks for the linux version, Mark.

Sorry about the delay.

> Installation works fine here, i was just a bit astonished when i saw the
> archive content was deleted after running the install script.

It's actually moved rather than deleted.  It's based on a previous
install script.  I can change that easily enough if you think it's too
shocking.

> You seem to have used a newer code basis than the windows beta, the
> isosurface syntax change seems already included.

I took what was tagged as beta 9.  Hopefully I didn't slip up anywhere.

> In first test renders it also was quite a bit slower than the windows
> version, do you plan to try the intel compiler on linux too?

I'll look into it.

> Furthermore how about including the insert menu? I can write a script to
> render the pictures automatically so they would not need to be included
> or only in a smaller version.

I'd prefer to see insert menu functionality built into the Emacs mode,
which I don't control.  I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly,
though.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

> > Installation works fine here, i was just a bit astonished when i saw the
> > archive content was deleted after running the install script.
>
> It's actually moved rather than deleted.  It's based on a previous
> install script.  I can change that easily enough if you think it's too
> shocking.

Since it's provisional anyway it's not a big problem, i suppose the final
compiled linux version will only be available as .rpm/.deb anyway.

> I took what was tagged as beta 9.  Hopefully I didn't slip up anywhere.

I did not check it in detail, but the current version of the benchmark
scene renders incorrect at one of the isosurfaces and this seems to be
caused by the different interpretation of '&' and '|'. Not a big problem
for the remaining 4 days of course.

> I'd prefer to see insert menu functionality built into the Emacs mode,
> which I don't control.  I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly,
> though.

I meant the html version i put together:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/imenu/insert_menu.html

Quite a lot of people found this useful so it might be worth including,
the html file is currently 240k long.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> I meant the html version i put together:
>
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/imenu/insert_menu.html
>
> Quite a lot of people found this useful so it might be worth including,
> the html file is currently 240k long.

Ah, OK.  That makes sense now.  Yeah, that looks pretty useful.  I'll
look into it.

-Mark Gordon