POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : agate pattern broken Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  agate pattern broken (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: agate pattern broken
Date: 3 Nov 2001 16:33:13
Message: <3BE46299.421893B7@gmx.de>
Only occurs with beta 7 and gives different results different with the
intel and msvc compile.

Sample code:

camera {
  orthographic
  location <0,0,1>
  look_at  <0,0,0>
  right 1*x
  up 1*y
}

box {
  <-0.5, -0.5, 0>, <0.5, 0.5, 0>
  texture {
    pigment {
      agate
      color_map { [0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1] }
    }
    finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 }
  }
}

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

From: ingo
Subject: Re: agate pattern broken
Date: 3 Nov 2001 18:14:19
Message: <Xns914F26D61DB6seed7@povray.org>
in news:3BE46299.421893B7@gmx.de Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Only occurs with beta 7 and gives different results different with
> the intel and msvc compile.

I can confirm that.

Ingo

From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 3 Nov 2001 20:27:48
Message: <3be49994$1@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote...

> Only occurs with beta 7 and gives different results different with the
> intel and msvc compile.

Fixed for next beta.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Nov 2001 03:13:24
Message: <3BE4F8A4.234C800B@gmx.de>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> Fixed for next beta.

May i ask why it occurred?

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 4 Nov 2001 16:18:38
Message: <3be5b0ae$1@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote...

> Nathan Kopp wrote:
> >
> > Fixed for next beta.
> >

> May i ask why it occurred?

There was some code that used this formula:
    value = (2.0 * Noise(EPoint, TPat)) - 0.5;
and I wanted to correct it so it looked like this:
    value = (2.0 * Noise(EPoint, TPat) - 0.5);
but I goofed and pasted this in instead:
    value = (2.0 * Noise(temp, TPat) - 0.5);

The value of "temp" was undefined at this point in the funciton, so noise
was usually result.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

Is it the same reason that the marble pattern in White_Marble is
messed up?

Harold

"Nathan Kopp" <nat### [at] koppcom> wrote in message

> "Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote...
> >
> > Only occurs with beta 7 and gives different results different with the
> > intel and msvc compile.
>
> Fixed for next beta.
>
> -Nathan

Post a reply to this message