POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Crash - gaussianblob.pov Server Time
11 Oct 2026 18:01:46 EDT (-0400)
  Crash - gaussianblob.pov (Message 1 to 20 of 20)  
From: Thorsten
Subject: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 03:52:21
Message: <3BC54E7E.319DEE8B@ewetel.net>
Hello :-))

scenes/advanced/gaussianblob.pov crashed on my PII-233,96MB,Windows95.

This might be usefull:

PVENGINE verursachte einen Stapelfehler in Modul PVENGINE.EXE bei
014f:004292a6.
Register:
EAX=00000000 CS=014f EIP=004292a6 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=025fe7f0 SS=0157 ESP=02321fc8 EBP=02944ac8
ECX=02322138 DS=0157 ESI=00cb01c8 FS=1177
EDX=005d4310 ES=0157 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
89 2c 24 89 5c 24 04 89 74 24 08 ff 12 85 c0 74
Stapelwerte:
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

Greetings :-))

Thorsten
(3.5beta6, various systems, windows)


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 06:11:30
Message: <3bc57051@news.povray.org>
Thorsten <tho### [at] ewetelnet> wrote:
: This might be usefull:

: PVENGINE verursachte einen Stapelfehler in Modul PVENGINE.EXE bei

  At least to those who understand German... ;)

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 08:50:34
Message: <slrn9sb5cr.cg1.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 11 Oct 2001 06:11:30 -0400, Warp wrote:
>Thorsten <tho### [at] ewetelnet> wrote:
>: This might be usefull:
>
>: PVENGINE verursachte einen Stapelfehler in Modul PVENGINE.EXE bei
>
>  At least to those who understand German... ;)

From context, I'm going to assume that "Stapelfehler" means "stack fault."
Which beta is this?

-- 
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{
P(z+a)P(z-a)R(-z-z-x a)pigment{rgbt 1}hollow interior{media{emission T}}finish{
reflection.1}}#end Z(-x-x.2y)Z(-x-x.4x)camera{location z*-10rotate x*90}


Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 09:23:22
Message: <3BC59D4A.71BC55AA@gmx.de>
Ron Parker wrote:
> 
> From context, I'm going to assume that "Stapelfehler" means "stack fault."

Wow, was that difficult? ;-)

I'm curious, Warp, what's the Finnish version of this?

> Which beta is this?
> 

beta 6 accroding to the original message.  Seems that there is still a
problem with those loops.

Christoph

-- 
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
IsoWood include, radiosity tutorial, TransSkin and other 
things on: http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 09:41:48
Message: <slrn9sb8cu.cib.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:23:22 +0200, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>
>
>Ron Parker wrote:
>> 
>> From context, I'm going to assume that "Stapelfehler" means "stack fault."
>
>Wow, was that difficult? ;-)

Only moderately.  The "Stapelverte" tipped me off.  But I really don't
know a lick of German, even though my wife was born in Hanau.

-- 
#macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C)bicubic_patch{type 1u_steps 6
v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)translate 9*z-2pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local X=
asc(substr(C,Y,1))-65;<mod(X,4)div(X,4)>#end#local O=union{Q("ABEFUQWS")Q(// RON
"WSXTLOJN")}Q("JNKLCGCD")union{O}union{O translate 3*x}light_source{x 1}//PARKER


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 10:49:35
Message: <3BC5B0DA.5404C9E5@ewetel.net>
Thank all of you for trying to make some sense of the German error message :-))

> >> From context, I'm going to assume that "Stapelfehler" means "stack fault."

Maybe...

> But I really don't know a lick of German

And I've never seen an English Windows error message ;-)) Sorry.

But I think the most important information in the German message were the values
:-))

Or is there somebody out there, using an English windows version, and having the
same problems with gaussianblob.pov ?

Greetings :-))

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 11:41:55
Message: <3bc5bdc2@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
: I'm curious, Warp, what's the Finnish version of this?

  I don't know because I have the english version of Windows.

  (Yes, there is a Finnish version, of course, but I simply hate it, as
many other Finnish users do; the translated OS just sounds horrible... :P
  Finland is a country where English can be considered a second language;
you usually can do anything in english and people will generally understand
you; this is often the case in company meetings etc, where there are
foreigners; English is not a problem and is a commonly used language.)

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 11:46:49
Message: <slrn9sbfnb.cj4.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:46:51 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
>
>But I think the most important information in the German message were the values
>:-))

You might think so, but probably not.  I don't think I've ever gotten what
could be called useful information from anything in that message except
maybe the CS:EIP.

-- 
#local R=<7084844682857967,0787982,826975826580>;#macro L(P)concat(#while(P)chr(
mod(P,100)),#local P=P/100;#end"")#end background{rgb 1}text{ttf L(R.x)L(R.y)0,0
translate<-.8,0,-1>}text{ttf L(R.x)L(R.z)0,0translate<-1.6,-.75,-1>}sphere{z/9e3
4/26/2001finish{reflection 1}}//ron.parker@povray.org My opinions, nobody else's


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 12:21:06
Message: <3BC5C64C.44C743A9@ewetel.net>
Ron Parker:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:46:51 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
> >
> >But I think the most important information in the German message were the values
> >:-))
>
> You might think so, but probably not.  I don't think I've ever gotten what
> could be called useful information from anything in that message except
> maybe the CS:EIP.

Ok... Here's a try:

PVENGINE caused a stack error in module PVENGINE.EXE at 014f:004292a6.
registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=014f EIP=004292a6 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=025fe7f0 SS=0157 ESP=02321fc8 EBP=02944ac8
ECX=02322138 DS=0157 ESI=00cb01c8 FS=1177
EDX=005d4310 ES=0157 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
bytes at CS:EIP:
89 2c 24 89 5c 24 04 89 74 24 08 ff 12 85 c0 74
stack values:
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

How about this one ?

Or do you think, the brilliant error messages of windows doesn't make any sense at
all?

Greetings :-))

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 12:56:56
Message: <slrn9sbjqq.cki.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:18:21 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
>Or do you think, the brilliant error messages of windows doesn't make any sense at
>all?

This is what I meant.  It makes sense, but the numbers are almost never 
useful after the fact.  Dr. Watson sometimes generates useful logs, but 
in general there's no substitute for duplicating the bug on a dev machine.

-- 
plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip x}rotate
z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red 1rotate 60
*z}light_source{-9rgb y rotate-z*60}light_source{9-z*18rgb z}text{ttf"arial.ttf"
"RP".01,0translate-<.6,.4,.02>pigment{bozo}}light_source{-z*3rgb-.2}//Ron Parker


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 11 Oct 2001 19:21:13
Message: <3bc62968@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
: This is what I meant.  It makes sense, but the numbers are almost never 
: useful after the fact.

  I think that the numbers are really meaningful only if you are coding
in assembler (because then the numbers are exactly what you have written,
ie. directly your code in machine code, which can be easily disassembled).
  If you are making a C++ program, the numbers don't really tell you
anything (unless you know *really, really* well what does the compiler
spit out from your code).

  A compiler with a debugger can, however, use this error window to jump
directly to the source code line where the crash ocurred (if the program
has debug information linked in).

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 12 Oct 2001 02:17:21
Message: <3bc68af1@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten" <tho### [at] ewetelnet> wrote in message
news:3BC5B0DA.5404C9E5@ewetel.net...

> Or is there somebody out there, using an English windows version, and
having the
> same problems with gaussianblob.pov ?
>

Having problems, don't know if they're the same.

5 min into parsing pov crashed with the following error:

"The exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the
application at
location 0x004292a6. Click OK to Close, Cancel  to Debug"

Pov-ray 3.5 Beta 6 Pentium 300 128MB Ram, Windows 2000

Gail
--
*************************************************************************
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza                *   Step into the abyss,           *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/   *   and let go.          Babylon 5 *
*************************************************************************
* Just think of me as the storm before the calm     Magic: The Gathering*
*************************************************************************


Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 12 Oct 2001 10:30:58
Message: <3bc6fea2@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:46:51 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
> >
> >But I think the most important information in the German message were the
values
> >:-))
>
> You might think so, but probably not.  I don't think I've ever gotten what
> could be called useful information from anything in that message except
> maybe the CS:EIP.

Another fond illusion shattered - you mean those numbers mean no more to you
programmers than they do to us muggles? Someone should inform snopes2.com...


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 12 Oct 2001 11:19:38
Message: <slrn9se2gc.fov.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:30:57 +0100, Tom Melly wrote:
>"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
>news:slr### [at] fwicom...
>> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:46:51 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
>> >
>> >But I think the most important information in the German message were the
>values
>> >:-))
>>
>> You might think so, but probably not.  I don't think I've ever gotten what
>> could be called useful information from anything in that message except
>> maybe the CS:EIP.
>
>Another fond illusion shattered - you mean those numbers mean no more to you
>programmers than they do to us muggles? Someone should inform snopes2.com...

Oh, they mean something.  It's just that what they mean isn't terribly 
useful most of the time.  Some of them are less useful than they could be,
granted, but even the ones that could be useful are practically useless
unless you happened to generate a detailed map file when you built the 
code, and even then they only become marginally useful because you can't
see how the system got there (the "stack dump" is poorly formatted and
far too short, so you can't even get a decent stack trace.)

-- 
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{
P(z+a)P(z-a)R(-z-z-x a)pigment{rgbf 1}hollow interior{media{emission 3-T}}}#end 
Z(-x-x.2x)camera{location z*-10rotate x*90normal{bumps.02scale.05}}


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 14 Oct 2001 20:41:17
Message: <slrn9skc5e.ip.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:47:10 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
>Hello :-))
>
>scenes/advanced/gaussianblob.pov crashed on my PII-233,96MB,Windows95.
>

Oddly enough, I can't duplicate this on my dev build (though I'd like to 
point out how horribly long it takes to parse this scene on a K6/2-350.)

Are you absolutely sure you were using beta 6 when this happened?

-- 
plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip x}rotate
z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red 1rotate 60
*z}light_source{-9rgb y rotate-z*60}light_source{9-z*18rgb z}text{ttf"arial.ttf"
"RP".01,0translate-<.6,.4,.02>pigment{bozo}}light_source{-z*3rgb-.2}//Ron Parker


Post a reply to this message

From: Dennis Milller
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 14 Oct 2001 23:14:33
Message: <3bca5499@news.povray.org>
I can confirm this. PIII/933, 256 MB RAM, Win98SE. Exactly 3 minutes into
Parsing ... I get the following error message. Funny thing is, the timer
keeps ticking until I close the error dialog.

D.
PVENGINE caused a stack fault in module PVENGINE.EXE at 0187:004292a6.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=004292a6 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=0689e7f8 SS=018f ESP=065c1fd0 EBP=06b992c8
ECX=065c2140 DS=018f ESI=00cb02a8 FS=57d7
EDX=005d4310 ES=018f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
89 2c 24 89 5c 24 04 89 74 24 08 ff 12 85 c0 74
Stack dump:
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:47:10 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
> >Hello :-))
> >
> >scenes/advanced/gaussianblob.pov crashed on my PII-233,96MB,Windows95.
> >
>
> Oddly enough, I can't duplicate this on my dev build (though I'd like to
> point out how horribly long it takes to parse this scene on a K6/2-350.)
>
> Are you absolutely sure you were using beta 6 when this happened?
>
> --
> plane{-z,-3normal{crackle scale.2#local a=5;#while(a)warp{repeat x flip
x}rotate
> z*60#local a=a-1;#end translate-9*x}pigment{rgb 1}}light_source{-9red
1rotate 60
> *z}light_source{-9rgb y rotate-z*60}light_source{9-z*18rgb
z}text{ttf"arial.ttf"
> "RP".01,0translate-<.6,.4,.02>pigment{bozo}}light_source{-z*3rgb-.2}//Ron
Parker


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 15 Oct 2001 02:50:29
Message: <3BCA867C.CDEF88C0@ewetel.net>
Hello Ron :-))

Ron Parker:

> Oddly enough, I can't duplicate this on my dev build (though I'd like to
> point out how horribly long it takes to parse this scene on a K6/2-350.)

It crashed after some minutes. If you think the time might be relevant, I'll try to
find out the exact time.

> Are you absolutely sure you were using beta 6 when this happened?

Yes, I am.

Greetings :-))

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 15 Oct 2001 08:59:10
Message: <3BCADCDF.E7DFF51C@ewetel.net>
Hello :-))

Latest news:

gaussianblob.pov works for me with this change
#declare CompNum=6946;
I've also tried some other values for CompNum smaller than 6946 with no problems :-))

But it keeps crashing for
#declare CompNum=6947;
or higher values for CompNum :-((

By adding some #debugs (code below) I found out these things:

The crash always happens for N=6946.
It seems to be no rand() thing, because I've used various seed()s without any
influence
on the results.
The problem seems to be caused by the line
#declare Tracey=trace(Ally,Test+100*y,-y,Norm);
because these were the last lines of debug information:
N=6946
Test ok.

This is the part of gaussianblob.pov with some additional #debugs. To keep this
message
short, I've removed the original comments...

#while(N<CompNum)
  #debug concat("N=",str(N,4,0),"\n")
  #declare Test=<Gauss(S),0,Gauss(S)>;
  #debug "Test ok.\n"
  #declare Tracey=trace(Ally,Test+100*y,-y,Norm);
  #debug "Tracey ok.\n"
  #if (Norm.x = 0 & Norm.y = 0 & Norm.z = 0)
    #declare Posy[N]=Test;
  #else
    #declare Posy[N]=Tracey+Norm*CompRadius;
  #end
  #debug "if ok.\n"
  #declare Ally=
  union {object {Ally}
    sphere {Posy[N], CompRadius}
  }
  #debug "Ally ok.\n"
  #declare N=N+1;
#end

Greetings :-))

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 17 Oct 2001 11:28:33
Message: <3bcda3a1@news.povray.org>
This is a stack issue which has been rectified for the next beta.

-- Chris


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Crash - gaussianblob.pov
Date: 30 Oct 2001 06:17:16
Message: <3BDE8B23.2F1D2B3D@ewetel.net>
Hello Chris :-))

Chris Cason:

> This is a stack issue which has been rectified for the next beta.

The gaussianblob causes no problems anymore...
BTW: It works with both beta7 compiles.

Thank you. Greetings :-))

Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.