POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [bug] no object - pattern Template Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  [bug] no object - pattern Template (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Zan Trajkov
Subject: [bug] no object - pattern Template
Date: 4 Oct 2001 16:37:29
Message: <3BBCC80E.8010500@sicom-ol.de>
Hi,

There is no template for the object - pattern available in

Insert --> pattern2 (n-z) - Menu.

Is this intended or a bug?

TNX
Zan

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: [bug] no object - pattern Template
Date: 4 Oct 2001 17:18:13
Message: <3BBCD2E6.9EEA0865@gmx.de>
Zan Trajkov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is no template for the object - pattern available in
>
> Insert --> pattern2 (n-z) - Menu.
>
> Is this intended or a bug?

No, will be added.  Thanks.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

From: Bob H
Date: 4 Oct 2001 17:54:32
Message: <3bbcda98$1@news.povray.org>
Please keep in mind that obmissions of preview images and/or texts from the
Insert Menu are not necessarily bugs.  Thank you.

"Zan Trajkov" <zan### [at] sicom-olde> wrote in message
news:3BB### [at] sicom-olde...

> There is no template for the object - pattern available in
>
> Insert --> pattern2 (n-z) - Menu.
>
> Is this intended or a bug?

Well, there just isn't an example yet, although there should be.  For
instance:

// uses a previously declared object as a pattern in statements accepting
one
    object {
       ObjectIdentifier                    // predeclared object
       color green 1,  color red 1   // colors, pigments, textures,
materials (outside, inside)
    }

I'm just not certain of the whole workings of it.

If ingo is listening...
There's some typos, and possibly errors in wording of the description, in
the Scene Help now that I've looked there.  So I will suggest:

"
The object pattern takes an object as input. It generates a(,) two item(,)
color list pattern. W[h]ether a point is assigned to one item or the other
depends on (whether it is) [being] inside the specified object or not.

Object(')s used in the object pattern cannot have a texture and must be
solid - these are the same limitations as for bounded_by and clipped_by.

Where OBJ_IDENTIFIER is the target object[,] (()which must be declared(),)
or use the full object syntax. LIST_ITEM_A and LIST_ITEM_B are the colors,
pigments, {or whatever} the pattern is controlling. LIST_ITEM_A is used for
all points outside the object, and LIST_ITEM_B is used for all points inside
the object.

Note: This is a block pattern which cannot use {wave types, color_map, or
slope_map} modifiers [except for those within the item list statements
themselves].
"

() omit
[] add
{} questionable

The other thing about "whatever" in the previous paragraph is vague.
Probably should say when used as pigment only pigments (and colors) can be
used or if texture then textures can be used.

Just saw Christoph reply too.

Bob H.