POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Quad and Smooth_Quad macro Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Quad and Smooth_Quad macro (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Thorsten
Subject: Quad and Smooth_Quad macro
Date: 2 Oct 2001 10:16:10
Message: <3BB9CBBB.2A60D60E@ewetel.net>
Hello :-))

How about changing the Quad and Smooth_Quad (shapes.inc) ?

The current form is:
#macro Quad(A, B, C, D)
   triangle {A, B, C}
   triangle {A, C, D}
#end
#macro Smooth_Quad(A, NA, B, NB, C, NC, D, ND)
   smooth_triangle {A, NA, B, NB, C, NC}
   smooth_triangle {A, NA, C, NC, D, ND}
#end

Maybe it's a question of preferences. But...
Any other form of shapes.inc (I've played around with so far)
can be used as object.
To keep this concept of having objects in shapes.inc
I suggest these changes:

#macro Quad(A, B, C, D)
union{ // added
   triangle {A, B, C}
   triangle {A, C, D}
} // added
#end
#macro Smooth_Quad(A, NA, B, NB, C, NC, D, ND)
union{ // added
   smooth_triangle {A, NA, B, NB, C, NC}
   smooth_triangle {A, NA, C, NC, D, ND}
} // added
#end

Or could there be any problems caused by declaring
the Quad and Smooth_Quad as unions?

Greetings :-))

Thorsten
(3.5beta4, various systems, windows)