POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : a access problem as NT-User Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:30:10 EDT (-0400)
  a access problem as NT-User (Message 4 to 13 of 23)
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: a access problem as NT-User
Date: 6 Sep 2001 10:31:38
Message: <3b9788ca@news.povray.org>
> Well, you could have the program could look in both HKCU and HKLM. Then if
> someone wanted it to be available to all users, they could copy the key from
> HKCU to HKLM (or you could make an install option to do this).

I could copy it, I suppose, but I am concerned that having two registry entries
for basically the same thing will cause support problems (believe me, it will).
I am 100% sure that someone will complain about it being confusing ...

Let me think about this.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> > Well, you could have the program could look in both HKCU and HKLM. Then if
> > someone wanted it to be available to all users, they could copy the key from
> > HKCU to HKLM (or you could make an install option to do this).
>
> I could copy it, I suppose, but I am concerned that having two registry entries
> for basically the same thing will cause support problems (believe me, it will).
> I am 100% sure that someone will complain about it being confusing ...
>
> Let me think about this.

Couldn't the install program ask if you want to instal a "personal" or
"global" copy of the software?

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque     | button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Post a reply to this message

> Couldn't the install program ask if you want to instal a "personal" or
> "global" copy of the software?

Would the average Win 95-98 user know the terminology and be reasonably
expected to choose correctly ? The answer is no.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> Would the average Win 95-98 user know the terminology and be reasonably
> expected to choose correctly ? The answer is no.

Well then you recommend one or the other to the user, just like you do for
the images folder for renders.

Post a reply to this message