POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Mac] crash while quitting Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  [Mac] crash while quitting (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Stéphane Nicolet
Subject: [Mac] crash while quitting
Date: 6 Mar 2002 15:44:40
Message: <1f8n8es.1u29reu1jsdysoN%cassio@free.fr>
POV-Ray Mac 3.5 beta 12
RAM : 80Mb, 54Mb allocated to PovRay
System 9.1 (french)
CarbonLib 1.3.1

When you try PovRay 3.5.b12 with the following scene,
three things can happen :

1) If PovRay isn't allocated enough memory (say it
only has the default 14Mb), POV-Ray puts different
memory-related error messages in the 'Messages' window,
then stops : OK.

2) However, if PovRay is allocated enough memory
(say 54 Mb), the scene parses and render but :

  a) if you try to quit (Command-Q) during parsing,
     PovRay crashes (error 2).

  b) if you try to quit (Command-Q) during rendering,
     Povray display a weird alert ("POV-Ray cannot
     run on a locked volume, or in a locked folder"),
     then quits to Finder.

Note that I have used the Galaxy include file by
Chris Colefax to get a long parsing time and be able to
demonstrate point 2a). Point 2b) can be demonstrated
with only the starfield (that is, with only the camera
and the sphere in the scene).

Hope this helps,
Stephane.

//------------------------------------------------------------------
//   this scene uses the Galaxy include file by Chris Colefax
//   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/galaxy.html
//------------------------------------------------------------------

#include "stars.inc"

camera
  {
    location <-0.5, 11, -7>
    angle 45.6
    look_at <-0.5, 0, -1.27>
  }

sphere
  {
    <0, 0, 0>, 30000
    texture { Starfield5 scale 3000}
  }

// cut here to demonstrate point 2b) only.

#declare galaxy_colour_turb = 1.0;
#declare galaxy_seed = 4010;
#include "GALAXY.INC"

#declare galaxy_bgnebula = 4;
#declare galaxy_colour_turb = 1.0;
#declare galaxy_seed = 3040;
#include "GALAXY.INC"

#declare C = 0; #while (C < 6)
#declare galaxy_seed = C;
#declare galaxy_bg = false;
#declare galaxy_objects = true;
#declare galaxy_starfield = true;
#include "GALAXY.INC"
#declare C = C + 1; #end

#declare C = 7; #while (C < 100)
#declare galaxy_seed = C;
#declare galaxy_bg = false;
#declare galaxy_objects = true;
#declare galaxy_starfield = false;
#declare debug_options = false;
#include "GALAXY.INC"
#declare C = C + 1; #end

//---------------- End of scene ---------------------

Post a reply to this message

> 1) If POV-Ray isn't allocated enough memory (say it
> only has the default 14Mb), POV-Ray puts different
> memory-related error messages in the 'Messages' window,
> then stops : OK.

Indeed, they should all start or contain with something that clearly indicated
"Out of memory" I hope...

> 2) However, if PovRay is allocated enough memory
> (say 54 Mb), the scene parses and render but :
>
>   a) if you try to quit (Command-Q) during parsing,
>      PovRay crashes (error 2).
>
>   b) if you try to quit (Command-Q) during rendering,
>      Povray display a weird alert ("POV-Ray cannot
>      run on a locked volume, or in a locked folder"),
>      then quits to Finder.

In fact, this happens with every scene which uses the preview window*.  b) is
actually in part correct, but shows the wrong error message.  As far as a) is
concerned, it seems to be related to b) and no longer happens once b) is
corrected.  the next beta will no longer show an error message if rendering is
terminated by quitting the application.

    Thorsten

* For those interested: A preview window cannot be closed while the renderer
is drawing in it.  As quitting up until now would issue the render termination
after attempting to close all windows, it would issue an internal error
believing something was wrong also everything was in fact correct.  Due to a
bug in the error alert display code this would then result in the wrong error
alert being displayed...

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde