POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Window Bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Render Window Bug (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: N Shomber
Subject: Render Window Bug
Date: 29 Oct 2001 21:50:38
Message: <3bde157e@news.povray.org>
If multiple files are queued (re-rendering insert menu, animations or just
multiple files), whenever a new file is started, it is shown on the desktop
(normal render window) when the editor window is showing just the messages.
With all different settings on Options|Render Window menu.  This is fine
except that it shows up even when the main POVray window is minimized.  This
happens in both the normal and the VCC versions.  After and while the
picture is being rendered, the only way to return the editor window is to
either right click the taskbar icon and click restore, or to close the
render window first.

N Shomber

Post a reply to this message

"N Shomber" <nsh### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> If multiple files are queued (re-rendering insert menu, animations or just
> multiple files), whenever a new file is started, it is shown on the
desktop
> (normal render window) when the editor window is showing just the
messages.
> With all different settings on Options|Render Window menu.  This is fine
> except that it shows up even when the main POVray window is minimized.
This
> happens in both the normal and the VCC versions.  After and while the
> picture is being rendered, the only way to return the editor window is to
> either right click the taskbar icon and click restore, or to close the
> render window first.
>
> N Shomber

Sorry,

P200 Win2k SP-2  256Mb PovRay 3.5.b.7

Post a reply to this message

This still happens when the Options|Render Window|Hide when Main Minimized.
Any Ideas?  I know this can be avoided by selecting a file to view from the
tabs,
but it still is interesting that the render window pops up.  I think it is
probably just missing
a check to display the window when viewing the message window.

> If multiple files are queued (re-rendering insert menu, animations or just
> multiple files), whenever a new file is started, it is shown on the
desktop
> (normal render window) when the editor window is showing just the
messages.
> With all different settings on Options|Render Window menu.  This is fine
> except that it shows up even when the main POVray window is minimized.
This
> happens in both the normal and the VCC versions.  After and while the
> picture is being rendered, the only way to return the editor window is to
> either right click the taskbar icon and click restore, or to close the
> render window first.
>
> N Shomber

> P200 Win2k SP-2  256Mb PovRay 3.5.b.7

Post a reply to this message

>If multiple files are queued (re-rendering insert menu, animations or just
>multiple files), whenever a new file is started, it is shown on the desktop
>(normal render window) when the editor window is showing just the messages.
>With all different settings on Options|Render Window menu.  This is fine
>except that it shows up even when the main POVray window is minimized.  This
>happens in both the normal and the VCC versions.  After and while the
>picture is being rendered, the only way to return the editor window is to
>either right click the taskbar icon and click restore, or to close the
>render window first.

I confirm this. POV 3.5b7, W98se, AMDK6 500, 128 Mb.

It's annoying when I've got POV running minimised as a background task
and I'm just about to wipe out the Treeclop Homeworld, and suddenly the
galaxy disappears and is replaced by the render window. Or when I'm
touch-typing a Word document, and look up to discover that POV grabbed
the active window three sentences ago.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:$kAY### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it N Shomber who wrote:
> >If multiple files are queued (re-rendering insert menu, animations or just
> >multiple files), whenever a new file is started, it is shown on the desktop
> >(normal render window) when the editor window is showing just the messages.
> >With all different settings on Options|Render Window menu.  This is fine
> >except that it shows up even when the main POVray window is minimized.  This
> >happens in both the normal and the VCC versions.  After and while the
> >picture is being rendered, the only way to return the editor window is to
> >either right click the taskbar icon and click restore, or to close the
> >render window first.
>
> I confirm this. POV 3.5b7, W98se, AMDK6 500, 128 Mb.
>
> It's annoying when I've got POV running minimised as a background task
> and I'm just about to wipe out the Treeclop Homeworld, and suddenly the
> galaxy disappears and is replaced by the render window. Or when I'm
> touch-typing a Word document, and look up to discover that POV grabbed
> the active window three sentences ago.

I'll leave it up to Chris C or some other team member to say for sure, but I
don't really believe this is so much a render window bug as a bug in Windows
itself.  I don't know how many times similar things have happened to me because
Word or IE or almost any other program has decided to become the active window.
I tend to have umpteen applications open at once (browser loading a page, email
sitting waiting, news group software updating, POV-Ray rendering, while typing
up a doc in a word processor, etc)  When one decides to open a dialog box of
some sort, it comes to the fore.  I chalk it up to annoying Windows behavior,
but suppose there might be a fix.

Post a reply to this message

Putting POV in the tray is a quick fix, in the meantime.

> > Or when I'm
> > touch-typing a Word document, and look up to discover that POV grabbed
> > the active window three sentences ago.

(isn't touch typing when you type *without* looking at the keyboard? ah
well)

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]

Post a reply to this message

Wasn't it Redbeard (MDJohnson) who wrote:
>"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
>news:$kAY### [at] econymdemoncouk...
>> Wasn't it N Shomber who wrote:
>> >If multiple files are queued (re-rendering insert menu, animations or just
>> >multiple files), whenever a new file is started, it is shown on the desktop
>> >(normal render window) when the editor window is showing just the messages.
>> >With all different settings on Options|Render Window menu.  This is fine
>> >except that it shows up even when the main POVray window is minimized.  This
>> >happens in both the normal and the VCC versions.  After and while the
>> >picture is being rendered, the only way to return the editor window is to
>> >either right click the taskbar icon and click restore, or to close the
>> >render window first.
>>
>> I confirm this. POV 3.5b7, W98se, AMDK6 500, 128 Mb.
>>
>> It's annoying when I've got POV running minimised as a background task
>> and I'm just about to wipe out the Treeclop Homeworld, and suddenly the
>> galaxy disappears and is replaced by the render window. Or when I'm
>> touch-typing a Word document, and look up to discover that POV grabbed
>> the active window three sentences ago.
>>

>I'll leave it up to Chris C or some other team member to say for sure, but I
>don't really believe this is so much a render window bug as a bug in Windows
>itself.  I don't know how many times similar things have happened to me because
>Word or IE or almost any other program has decided to become the active window.
>I tend to have umpteen applications open at once (browser loading a page, email
>sitting waiting, news group software updating, POV-Ray rendering, while typing
>up a doc in a word processor, etc)  When one decides to open a dialog box of
>some sort, it comes to the fore.  I chalk it up to annoying Windows behavior,
>but suppose there might be a fix.

This effect is new with beta 7. Previous released versions and previous
betas to refrained from opening the render window when the application
is minimised.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

"Slime" <noo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Putting POV in the tray is a quick fix, in the meantime.
>
> > > Or when I'm
> > > touch-typing a Word document, and look up to discover that POV grabbed
> > > the active window three sentences ago.
>
> (isn't touch typing when you type *without* looking at the keyboard? ah
> well)

Ahh... but it could be touch-typing from hand written notes...

Michael

Post a reply to this message

"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:diq### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it Redbeard (MDJohnson) who wrote:
> >I'll leave it up to Chris C or some other team member to say for sure, but I
> >don't really believe this is so much a render window bug as a bug in Windows
> >itself.  I don't know how many times similar things have happened to me
because
> >Word or IE or almost any other program has decided to become the active
window.
> >I tend to have umpteen applications open at once (browser loading a page,
email
> >sitting waiting, news group software updating, POV-Ray rendering, while
typing
> >up a doc in a word processor, etc)  When one decides to open a dialog box of
> >some sort, it comes to the fore.  I chalk it up to annoying Windows behavior,
> >but suppose there might be a fix.
>
> This effect is new with beta 7. Previous released versions and previous
> betas to refrained from opening the render window when the application
> is minimised.

Hmmm... hadn't really noticed, but I believe you're right.  Of course, it *does*
happen with a lot of other apps which try to impress upon you that they know
better than you what you wish to be doing. ;)

Michael