POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Earth horizon curve simulation Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Earth horizon curve simulation (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Movie Vertigo
Subject: Earth horizon curve simulation
Date: 11 Apr 2018 14:10:07
Message: <web.5ace4ef1f7521098519cb4360@news.povray.org>
I've been using POV-Ray to simulate how curved the horizon appears at different
altitudes.

I chose to use POV-Ray rather than a standard modeller (e.g. Blender) as I can
actually get a perfect (Non-polygon) sphere that way.

It also comfortably handled the 2.15GB 86400x43200 pixel texture I used for the
detail! (Blender couldn't handle it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-tzyisDoQ

Post a reply to this message

Am 11.04.2018 um 20:07 schrieb Movie Vertigo:
> I've been using POV-Ray to simulate how curved the horizon appears at different
> altitudes.
>
> I chose to use POV-Ray rather than a standard modeller (e.g. Blender) as I can
> actually get a perfect (Non-polygon) sphere that way.
>
> It also comfortably handled the 2.15GB 86400x43200 pixel texture I used for the
> detail! (Blender couldn't handle it!)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-tzyisDoQ

Nice!

Might be interesting to somehow highlight a few key altitudes, such as:

- altitude of Mt Everest
- altitude of typical intercontinental flights
- altitude at which space officially begins
- altitude of the ISS
- altitude of geostationary satellites