POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Clockless_Animation Server Time
15 May 2024 10:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Clockless_Animation (Message 31 to 40 of 44)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Clockless_Animation
Date: 2 Jul 2017 16:33:17
Message: <5959588d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2017 8:37 PM, green wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>> Am 29.06.2017 um 21:05 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>>>

>>> You might be interested to hear that _UberPOV_ already provides an
>>> experimental mechanism that can be used to that end:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>> (In UberPOV for Windows, this mechanism will even retain data between
>>> consecutive runs of a single-frame scene...
>>
>>  From visiting the UberPOV Github repository here...
>>
>> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV
>>
>> ... I'm honestly not sure how to download it, or which of the separate components
>> are needed. I assume that this is the Windows version(?) Does it need to be
>> *compiled* on my end? I don't see a clearly-labeled Windows executable there.
>
> it is not you; it is github.  github is retarded.  i suspect it was made by
> linuxians.

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD-5z_xHBU

>    above the red bar is cryptic scribbling 'commits', 'branches', 'releases' etc,
> click on 'releases'.  there you will find the binaries.

Thanks for the info. :D

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Jul 2017 19:00:01
Message: <web.59597a38992dfbe2acfa72180@news.povray.org>
> Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

You would make Davros proud.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Jul 2017 01:51:42
Message: <5959db6e$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2017 11:56 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!
>
> You would make Davros proud.

I am of that age. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Jul 2017 12:30:00
Message: <web.595a7017992dfbe2883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> As guessed by Stephen, that would be the source package, which you
> /could/ use to compile UberPOV from source codes.
>
> [snip]
>
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases
>
> There, for each such well-defined version you'll again find at least the
> corresponding source code package (in both zip and tar.gz format), but
> usually also pre-built Windows binaries.

Excellent! Thanks (and to Stephen and Green as well.) Yeah, the Github way of
doing things seems a bit odd and convoluted. Well, at least to me...

SO... to help others... the Windows binary download (I happen to have chosen the
64-bit version) is only a single file called   Uberpov64  and is meant to
(temporarily) replace v3.70's  'pvengine'  file, in POV-Ray's "bin" directory--
identical to how the various 3.71 ALPHA releases were installed.

Once I install it there and see the results, I might even try to do likewise in
one of the latest 3.71 'beta' releases-- just to see what happens ;-)  If there
is a tremendous explosion on the East Coast of the U.S., you'll know the source,
ha!

Post a reply to this message

>> As guessed by Stephen, that would be the source package, which you
>> /could/ use to compile UberPOV from source codes.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases
>>
>> There, for each such well-defined version you'll again find at least the
>> corresponding source code package (in both zip and tar.gz format), but
>> usually also pre-built Windows binaries.
>>

> Excellent! Thanks (and to Stephen and Green as well.) Yeah, the Github way of
> doing things seems a bit odd and convoluted. Well, at least to me...

I guess it's not GitHub in particular, but rather git. (And yes, that's
/penultimately/ Linux-ey; not surprising actually, given that it was
/invented/ by Linus Torvalds himself /for/ kernel development ;))

> SO... to help others... the Windows binary download (I happen to have chosen the
> 64-bit version) is only a single file called   Uberpov64  and is meant to
> (temporarily) replace v3.70's  'pvengine'  file, in POV-Ray's "bin" directory--
> identical to how the various 3.71 ALPHA releases were installed.
>
> Once I install it there and see the results, I might even try to do likewise in
> one of the latest 3.71 'beta' releases-- just to see what happens ;-)  If there
> is a tremendous explosion on the East Coast of the U.S., you'll know the source,
> ha!

You shouldn't do that. There is no advantage in transplanting UberPOV to
a v3.7.1-beta system whatsoever; to the contrary, you may find UberPOV
interfering with the v3.7.0 installation in interesting ways.

(In a nutshell, the v3.7.1-beta uses directories and registry keys named
"v3.7-beta", whereas v3.7.0 and the latest UberPOV versions use registry
keys named "v3.7".)

Post a reply to this message

> is a tremendous explosion on the East Coast of the U.S., you'll know the source,
> ha!

They'll probably still try to blame it on us here in NH.
:|

Post a reply to this message

> > Once I install it there and see the results, I might even try to do
> > likewise in one of the latest 3.71 'beta' releases-- just to see what
> > happens ;-)  If there is a tremendous explosion on the East Coast of
> > the U.S., you'll know the source, ha!
>
> You shouldn't do that.

:-O

Good safety tip!! I was just about ready to 'light the fuse'...

Disaster averted! Thanks.

Post a reply to this message