POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : QT or other problem Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:52:21 EDT (-0400)
  QT or other problem (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: tgl
Subject: QT or other problem
Date: 3 Oct 2003 06:10:02
Message: <web.3f7d4a89882e39d35115eaaa0@news.povray.org>
Hello Friends
 I have been using POV and Quicktime for animation for a long time without
any problems until recently. I am presently experimenting with complex
morphing textures using various normals, finishes and media. I usually do
test renders to Quicktime at 24 FPS, 360 frames, a fairly high rendering
resolution and an image size of 320 x 240. At times I will increase the
image size and re-render when a particular test has been successful and
this is where I've been experiencing problems.
 These larger animations have a random jitteriness(?) when played back. It
almost seems as if some frames of the animation were missing but they're
not. I have given both POV and Quicktime a large dose of memory and
although my computer is not the latest, I've never seen this happen before.
 Any suggestions...please?!
 Thanx in advance
 TGL

Post a reply to this message

> I have been using POV and Quicktime for animation for a long time without
>any problems until recently. I am presently experimenting with complex
>morphing textures using various normals, finishes and media. I usually do
>test renders to Quicktime at 24 FPS, 360 frames, a fairly high rendering
>resolution and an image size of 320 x 240. At times I will increase the
>image size and re-render when a particular test has been successful and
>this is where I've been experiencing problems.
> These larger animations have a random jitteriness(?) when played back. It
>almost seems as if some frames of the animation were missing but they're
>not. I have given both POV and Quicktime a large dose of memory and
>although my computer is not the latest, I've never seen this happen before.
> Any suggestions...please?!
> Thanx in advance
> TGL

Well, I'm no computer expert, but I have the same problem when I combine
"fairly high rendering resolution" with "larger animations."  I have an old
Mac G3 that I've souped up a bit, but I think it has difficulty processing
larger images quickly enough to avoid "jitteriness."  If I decrease the
resolution (compress the images more) the problem goes away.  For example,
if I make a quicktime movie with "highest quality jpg" I have trouble, but
if I lower it to "medium quality jpg" the problem disappears.

So it's clearly not a POV animation problem (for me), but rather that I
have an older system trying to do newer things (kind of like my own body
and brain.)

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

From: POVeddie
Date: 3 Oct 2003 12:25:02
Message: <web.3f7da222c716b19d420d35110@news.povray.org>
tgl wrote:
> Hello Friends
> I have been using POV and Quicktime for animation for a long time without
>any problems until recently. I am presently experimenting with complex
>morphing textures using various normals, finishes and media. I usually do
>test renders to Quicktime at 24 FPS, 360 frames, a fairly high rendering
>resolution and an image size of 320 x 240. At times I will increase the
>image size and re-render when a particular test has been successful and
>this is where I've been experiencing problems.
> These larger animations have a random jitteriness(?) when played back. It
>almost seems as if some frames of the animation were missing but they're
>not. I have given both POV and Quicktime a large dose of memory and
>although my computer is not the latest, I've never seen this happen before.
> Any suggestions...please?!
> Thanx in advance
> TGL

The best you can do is render the frames in POV at the same size as the
intended animation.

Letting animation software reduce the size of the frames is a lossy process
and is causing the artifacts you describe.

Cheers
Eddie

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Oct 2003 13:27:43
Message: <3f7db18f@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3f7da222c716b19d420d35110@news.povray.org> , "POVeddie"
<nomail@nomail> wrote:

>> These larger animations have a random jitteriness(?) when played back. It
>>almost seems as if some frames of the animation were missing but they're
>>not. I have given both POV and Quicktime a large dose of memory and
>>although my computer is not the latest, I've never seen this happen before.
>> Any suggestions...please?!
>> Thanx in advance
>> TGL
>
> The best you can do is render the frames in POV at the same size as the
> intended animation.

I don't think you even remotely understood the question ...

> Letting animation software reduce the size of the frames is a lossy process
> and is causing the artifacts you describe.

Excuse me, are you on drugs?

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Oct 2003 13:38:06
Message: <3f7db3fe$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3f7d4a89882e39d35115eaaa0@news.povray.org> , "tgl"
<tgl### [at] canadacom> wrote:

>  These larger animations have a random jitteriness(?) when played back. It
> almost seems as if some frames of the animation were missing but they're
> not.

The frames are "dropped" when playing back the movie because you system
isn't fast enough to decode all the frames in real-time.  This can either be
due to processor decoding performance or harddisk data-rate limitations.
Either way, the only way around this (other than getting a faster system) is
to use a different codec.  If you have G3 at 500 MHz or more, you can for
example get one of the free MPEG-2 encoders (encode to VOB!) and then use
the DVD Player (or QuickTime with the MPEG-2 plugin from Apple) to play it
back - it will use the accelerated decoding functions on your graphics card
and that way you should be able to view movies up to 720*576 at 25 fps or
720*480 at 30 fps, which equal PAL and NTSC DVDs respectively.

If you have a Mac much older than three years, you will more or less have to
stick to lower resolutions or reduce the framerate...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: tgl
Date: 3 Oct 2003 20:50:02
Message: <web.3f7e1894c716b19d1b238cd0@news.povray.org>
Dave Matthews wrote:
>So it's clearly not a POV animation problem (for me), but rather that I
>have an older system trying to do newer things (kind of like my own body
>and brain.)
>
>I really didn't want to face the fact but I'm in the exact same predicament as you
are. I have a G3(B+W) as well. I guess there are some limitations I gotta deal with.
Damn!;)
 Thanks a lot for your response Dave.

Post a reply to this message

From: tgl
Date: 3 Oct 2003 22:35:01
Message: <web.3f7e3125c716b19d4a8b8d420@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <web.3f7d4a89882e39d35115eaaa0[at]news.povray.org> , "tgl"
><tgl### [at] canadacom> wrote:
>
>>  These larger animations have a random jitteriness(?) when played back. It
>> almost seems as if some frames of the animation were missing but they're
>> not.
>
>The frames are "dropped" when playing back the movie because you system
>isn't fast enough to decode all the frames in real-time.  This can either be
>due to processor decoding performance or harddisk data-rate limitations.
>Either way, the only way around this (other than getting a faster system) is
>to use a different codec.  If you have G3 at 500 MHz or more, you can for
>example get one of the free MPEG-2 encoders (encode to VOB!) and then use
>the DVD Player (or QuickTime with the MPEG-2 plugin from Apple) to play it
>back - it will use the accelerated decoding functions on your graphics card
>and that way you should be able to view movies up to 720*576 at 25 fps or
>720*480 at 30 fps, which equal PAL and NTSC DVDs respectively.
>
>If you have a Mac much older than three years, you will more or less have to
>stick to lower resolutions or reduce the framerate...

 Thanx for the info, Thorsten but I believe I'm stuck with your final
suggestion!
By the way...How the heck did you and Dave Matthews know I was a MacUser?

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 3 Oct 2003 23:09:06
Message: <3F7E39FA.E6958B53@pacbell.net>
tgl wrote:

> By the way...How the heck did you and Dave Matthews know I was a MacUser?

Elementary, my dear Watson.

Most Windows users don't like or just plain won't use QT for various reasons
and it is not available on the linux/unix platforms. If you have been using
QT for sometime, as suggested in your original post, it follows that you are
a Mac user.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Oct 2003 03:58:47
Message: <3f7e7db7@news.povray.org>
In article <3F7E39FA.E6958B53@pacbell.net> , Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet>
wrote:

>> By the way...How the heck did you and Dave Matthews know I was a MacUser?
>
> Elementary, my dear Watson.
>
> Most Windows users don't like or just plain won't use QT for various reasons
> and it is not available on the linux/unix platforms. If you have been using
> QT for sometime, as suggested in your original post, it follows that you are
> a Mac user.

No, it is much simpler than that: Windows PCs don't last more than three
years ;-)