POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Shutdown when done Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:42:44 EDT (-0400)
  Shutdown when done (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Shutdown when done
Date: 30 Sep 2003 14:46:52
Message: <3f79cf9c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks.

Just thought it might be of interest to folks out there... There's a
availible from www.sysinternals.com that allows you to power off or reboot
your computer from the command line. (Look for "PS-Tools".) In particular, I
often leave my laptop rendering overnight, and I've often thought it would
be nice if it would switch off after it's done.

With this utility, you can execute
  shutdown -k -t 40
The command returns immediately, and 40 seconds later, your computer will
power off. (If soft-off is supported; otherwise it will reboot. Oh yeah, and
I believe this doesn't work for Windows 95 / 98, only Windows 2000 / XP / ME
/ NT.)

So, my question is, how do I arrange for this sequence of events to occur:
 1) have POV-Ray render my animation
 2) execute the above command
 3) close POV-Ray
(in that order). IIRC there's a command switch to make POV-Ray execute a
command when it's done... Is there one to make POV-Ray open, render
something, and then immediately close? (Or close when done if it's already
open for that matter?)

Thanks.
Andrew.

Post a reply to this message