POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chocolate cake : Re: chocolate cake Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:03:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chocolate cake
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Apr 2005 00:53:43
Message: <pan.2005.04.21.04.53.43.24105@nospam.com>
Tell you what, post your own IP address, and we'll slashdot it - since
there's no reason for us to be considerate of your bandwidth.  Bandwidth
is cheap, so get more.

Basic consideration is a fairly simple concept - treat others the way you
wish to be treated.  Do you wish others to waste your time?  To waste your
bandwidth?  If you do, I'm sure that can be arranged, but I suspect that
you probably would not like it if someone wasted your time unnecessarily.

From the POVray FAQ in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions:

"Please consider converting 24-bit bitmap images, such as targas and
Windows .bmp, to JPEG (.jpg) file format which uses a compression
algorithm to reduce the file size considerably. This conserves space on
the news.povray.org server for everyone."

The owners of this server have thus *expressly* requested that posters not
waste space on the server unnecessarily.  They have *expressly* requested
that images be converted to compressed JPEG format.  They also *expressly*
state "Please be reasonable and don't paste a 10mb mesh include file into
the body of a message :)" - so it would seem to me that they do wish that
posters be considerate by not posting files that are larger than they need
to be.

In fact, in the referenced message
(http://news.povray.org/37711f4b.55412882%40news.povray.org), Alan very
specifically thanks posters for their *CONSIDERATION*.  That would seem to
me to imply that he expects that people will in fact be *CONSIDERATE* of
others.

(And yes, online translators really DO suck for the most part)

Jim