POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : [ANN] Animation plugin bugfix release Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:58:01 EDT (-0400)
  [ANN] Animation plugin bugfix release (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Kman
Subject: Re: [ANN] Animation plugin bugfix release
Date: 25 Nov 2003 13:48:11
Message: <3fc3a3eb@news.povray.org>
Yes! Very good work! I love the way it updates the motion path of the object
in the viewports in real time! Excellent! Also, panning (with <Ctrl>) and
zooming (with <Alt>) work quite well. It doesn't remember the last viewport
size/layout, though. Also, it doesn't have to stay in front of the main
window... maybe?

Have you ever used CorelDraw or similar spline editing software? It has the
ability to place each node in one of three modes: Cusp, Smooth and
Symmetrical. The mode your spline nodes are in now is similar to Corel's
Symmetrical, except that you don't allow lengthening (or movement) of the
control handles in the "x" direction of the timeline editor. This mode is
basically as it sounds, the handles are the same length on each side of the
node and are co-linear. Smooth mode refers to the fact that the control
handles are co-linear, but can be different lengths. The third mode, Cusp,
allows the control handles to move entirely independently from one another.
They are not necessarily co-linear or equal length, and allow the node to be
the intersection point of an "angle" (if there is such a thing with curves -
but you get the idea.) All this to say that having similar modes in the
timeline editor would give nearly complete flexibility in editing the
transformation paths.

Lutz, please forgive me if I'm coming accross a little too
"over-enthusiastic"... I'm only a user of graphics software, and not a
programmer. I don't know the complexity involved in implementing some of
this stuff, so please bear with me when I have "ideas" like this. I only
post them as suggestions of what I've liked from other programs - and do so
only with the intention of helping improve your already awesome software.
What you've done here so far is leaps and bounds beyond the previous version
in terms of helping me to visualize and control an objects' motion. Great
stuff!

-Kman

"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
| Hi Kman, you recently wrote in moray.win:
|
| > I do notice, tho, that cubic interpolation is not applying to the
| > translation (location) of an object any longer.
| You need to go into the Timeline Editor and select the translation
| part of the objects animation timeline. Then in the graph, you can
| pull and tweak the handles of the splines....
|

| - Lutz
|   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
|   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

Hi Kman, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Yes! Very good work! I love the way it updates the motion path of the object
> in the viewports in real time! Excellent! Also, panning (with <Ctrl>) and
> zooming (with <Alt>) work quite well. It doesn't remember the last viewport
> size/layout, though. Also, it doesn't have to stay in front of the main
> window... maybe?
As I have time I might look at adding some features to this. You have
to remember that I am completely unfamiliar with this code, though,
since Alexander wrote the entire plugin. But yes, I would like the
handles to behave in a better way and to allow Cusp and Smooth.

Anyway, your suggestions are always welcome.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray