POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : New Website Online Server Time
5 May 2024 22:44:19 EDT (-0400)
  New Website Online (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Model Citizen
Subject: Re: New Website Online
Date: 2 Apr 2005 18:30:00
Message: <web.424f2a03334815d5e89005b0@news.povray.org>
Steve,

Very nice face/head model.  Did you build it from scratch?  What shape did
you start with, and what basic steps did you take?

Model Citizen

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 2 Apr 2005 19:24:44
Message: <424f37cc@news.povray.org>
"Model Citizen" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> Steve,
>
> Very nice face/head model.  Did you build it from scratch?  What shape did
> you start with, and what basic steps did you take?
>
> Model Citizen

Thank you. I did make it from scratch. I started with a sphere. I really
can't give you any step-by-step descriptions of how I made it, since it took
probably thousands of individual steps. A lot of moving faces out or in,
moving points, splitting faces, merging faces, etc. The ear I modeled away
from the head, so I could see what I was doing. The whole thing took me
several weeks, working an hour or two every day. It was definitely not an
easy task. One good thing about it is that with that basic head already
made, I can take it, and in a comparably short time, make a different
looking face, by changing the shape of the nose, the general width of the
head, size of the eyes, etc. I posted the mdl file in moray.binaries. You
could probably learn a lot by studying the mesh in the mesh edit views.
Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

From: Model Citizen
Date: 2 Apr 2005 22:20:00
Message: <web.424f602e334815d8d3a7dd0@news.povray.org>
Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  That is enough to get me started.  "started with a
sphere", "moving faces out or in, moving points, splitting faces, merging
faces, etc." "ear ... modeled away from the head".

Did you import a photo to use as a guide while you were dragging points and
faces?

Are the left/right sides mirrored, or modeled individually?

Model Citizen

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 2 Apr 2005 22:52:31
Message: <424f687f$1@news.povray.org>
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  That is enough to get me started.  "started with a
> sphere", "moving faces out or in, moving points, splitting faces, merging
> faces, etc." "ear ... modeled away from the head".
>
> Did you import a photo to use as a guide while you were dragging points
> and
> faces?
>
> Are the left/right sides mirrored, or modeled individually?
>
> Model Citizen

The second ear is mirrored. When moving things in or out I used point mode
and selected the corresponding points on both sides and used either scale or
translate to move them in in the desired way.
Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Model Citizen
Date: 2 Apr 2005 23:35:01
Message: <web.424f7187334815d4d0d8c490@news.povray.org>
Steve

Thanks again for the info...
"used point mode and selected the corresponding points on both sides and
used either scale or translate to move them in in the desired way."  That
makes sense to me!

Did you import a photo to use as a guide?

(almost done asking dumb questions)
Model Citizen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Apr 2005 03:25:15
Message: <424f9a5b@news.povray.org>
"Model Citizen" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht

> (almost done asking dumb questions)

I think they are very important questions!
For what it is worth, there are some excellent head tutorials at the
Wings3D, Silo or other sites. They can help with building in Moray, I think.

Some links:
                 http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorials/
                 http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorials/

http://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorials/polymodeling/index.html

http://p212.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm3.showMessage?topicID=249.topic

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 3 Apr 2005 08:12:28
Message: <424fddac@news.povray.org>
"Model Citizen" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message

> Did you import a photo to use as a guide?
>
> (almost done asking dumb questions)
> Model Citizen

Well, I didn't for the head itself, although, looking back on it, it would
have made it a lot easier. When I got to the ear, which turned out to be the
hardest part, I used a photo as backdrop.
Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: leseur sylvain
Date: 6 Apr 2005 02:47:38
Message: <4253860a$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
> I've been using POVray along with Moray for a while, and I finally decided
> to put up a website to display my better efforts. Any feedback you could
> offer would be greatly appreciated. The url is http://www.shelbyvision.com
> SteveShelby

Thanks Steve
Great website, good presentation, good links etc
Friendly
Sylvain

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 15 Apr 2005 02:44:09
Message: <viou51ttnc92p4auec9353i0ok6sguuh67@4ax.com>
Hi Stefan Persson, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I don't mean to be disrespectful,
> but the official Moray page somewhat.. ehr.. lacks
> updates..
I agree completely and I wish that there were more regular updates,
but the truth is I haven't received any models in the last two years
or so.....

Regards,

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 15 Apr 2005 04:56:10
Message: <425f81aa$1@news.povray.org>

> I agree completely and I wish that there were more regular updates,
> but the truth is I haven't received any models in the last two years
> or so.....

Maybe there is a problem, I remembeer  having sent a guitar, a bass guitar
and a lighthouse 3 years ago.
The plugin page is more up  to  date though

Marc

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>